Thread: Nosler Partition in Savage model 10

Basic Member

Nosler Partition in Savage model 10

I just bought an older model 10 chambered in 270 wsm and I've always read good reviews about Nosler Partition bullets and I have a box of 130 grain partition bullets from a 270 project a few years ago but never shot any game with them so I don't know much about them. This model 10 WSM has a short barrel looks to be 19 or 20 inches and I'm just not experienced enough shooter to know about bullet expansion vs bullet speed from short barrel guns so I'm asking for help from the 270 WSM savage 10 owners. I will add that the gun will used to hunt med. size whitetail deer, bear and hog in the mountains of WNC where 100 yards is a long shot around here......maybe shoot a yote on lake bed at 200. So I guess I'm looking for some load data for the gun at minimum range and I was hoping the 130 grain nosler partition would be a good choice being I have some. I'll also note that I don't want to blow a 100 # whitetail in half but I like to find blood where he was standing if he's not laying there.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Performance on game is excellent, even overkill for Your application. And more expense than needed, in this case, but since You already have them, it is a mute point.

I had great hopes for NPT's, and have several boxes setting around, but I can never get the accuracy from them that I get from other hunting bullets. The accuracy is plenty good enough for hunting, but I just can't bring myself to use a less accurate pill, especially when that much terminal performance is not necessary.

With a pill that light, from Your WSM, at the distance mentioned, shooting a White Tail, there will be some serious blood shot meat, if not worse.

Basic Member
    If I went up in bullet grain weight say 160 would there be less meat damage or more? Any experience with Hornady Hot Cor bullets for hunting?

I have killed almost every legal game animal in N.A. using Hot-Cor bullets. While different construction, I see the Hot-Cor and the Partition as the same thing.
    They never deliver stunning accuracy, good, but certainly won't replace your match bullets anytime soon. They are fat-kid-chasing-cake reliable, and don't veer and do funny things if hitting heavy bone at odd angles.

They don't cause massive blow-outs in the far side of the animal(no bone hits), but there will be no doubt about hitting your quarry. I'd take a Hot-Cor or Partition as the last bullet I could ever shoot, and not feel outmatched for anything I wanted to shoot.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Team Savage
    I always go to this site for information on caliber and bullet terminal performance: http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...rt+Magnum.html
    Last edited by jpdown; 12-23-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Basic Member
    dale, I think You mean Speer Hot-Core?

For minimal meat damage, it is heavy and slow. I love My 358Win. on whitetail. With a 225grn SGK, it almost always puts them down right there, and as they say, "you can eat right up to the hole". Some what the same with 30/06 with 220grn loaded to the slow side. :-)

Basic Member
    Yes speer hot cor not hornady. I load the hot cor in my old takedown 300 savage and had nothing but good results. I like following blood trails where you dont have to bend over looking for spots......lots of times they cover their tracks. I may just buy some for the 270 wsm.
    Thanks guys

I'm talking strictly hunting.....I just shoot enough to zero in or check scope and off to the woods.

Basic Member
    Borrowing wisdom stated here a few years ago..."if a Partition won't kill it, don't shoot at it". Partition is a controlled expansion bone crusher.

My 270 win shoots 150 grain PT's very accurately, 22" barrel. No meat loss, no tracking yet. In my 260 Rem 140 grain PT's shoot a little lees accurately 24" barrel (might be Monte Carlo stock vs straight stock on the 260). As for counting on exit hole tracking Partitions leave small holes.

This guys voice sells.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

At 100 yards or less, just about anything you shoot out of that 270 short mag is going to be badly bloodshot. It has to do with impact velocity, and you'll have that in spades. Going to a heavier bullet will help, but you're still going to have it. If that's what you have to work with, fine, just try to stay out of the "meat" shots. In other words try to go for rib shots, stay out of the shoulders and hams. Not enough meat in the rib cage to worry over. Double lung them and down they'll go. Just make sure your knife is sharp.

I haven't found a rifle yet that I can't get to group Nosler Partitions well. Well, ok, I had one, but it badly needed a new barrel (severe pitting in the bore). The Nosler Partition is my first "go to" hunting bullet for most big game applications (sometimes it's a Nosler Ballistic Tip instead).
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Totally agree with you Slowpoke Slim......I always shoot for the middle because a deer double lunged isn't going for. I know around here many a deer lost to high shoulder shots and many a big buck missed trying for a neck shot.

The 130 Partition is a bit too tough for whitetails but will work nicely for hogs and teddys. If you want just one bullet to work on Whitetails hogs and bears, the 130 Partition is probably one of the better choices.

H-4831 / H-4831sc
    IMR-7828 / 7828ssc
    IMR-4831
    IMR-4350

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-da...rt-magnum-wsm/

http://stevespages.com/277_11_130.html

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle