Thread: Will it work?

Basic Member

Will it work?

If this has been covered I apologize as I'm on my phone and won't be at a computer where I can actually see what I'm doing.

i am going to be building a 300WM and would like to make my rifle in single shot, I notice that the single shot followers say stagger feed only BUT I was just going to glue the follower to the action.... question is has anyone done this and will the standard score high follower work for this? The action is a center feed in 270 as it sits. Let me know if anyone has done this as I'd like to know if it worked before I go dumping dollars on stuff I can't use. Thanks!

Basic Member
    Rather than glue it, why not just put a small wood block in the back end of it? I use the follower on my wife's 6mm BR that I built on a 111 stagger feed. I'm not even sure you would need the block, there would just be a small gap in the back of the mag well that only you would notice. You still use your mag follower and spring, the single shot adapter is just put on top of that and held in place by spring tension. Give it a try and you will be fine, just make sure the gap is in the back of the mag well.

SHM

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I found what is was after last night when I had a chance to actually dig. im going from a 270 to a 300wm so doubt my mag will work as you speak of and from what I've read they don't work on a center feed except for the one from SSS unless I missed one. I can JB weld it in and then down the road if I want to do something different a little love from a hammer it'll pop out. Later,

kirk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmirk View Post
    I found what is was after last night when I had a chance to actually dig. im going from a 270 to a 300wm so doubt my mag will work as you speak of and from what I've read they don't work on a center feed except for the one from SSS unless I missed one. I can JB weld it in and then down the road if I want to do something different a little love from a hammer it'll pop out. Later,

kirk
    Okay, had to wake up to realize the problem. The SF follower mates to the the bottom of the action, mag stays with the CF, I'm tracking now. Why not just not use a follower? Don't stuff rounds into the 270 mag and you'll have a single shot?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Order a Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) Single Shot Ramp for a LA. Use the SSS online order form and a credit card. Almost impossible to order by phone. Best one I've found for a Savage action. Fits like a glove. Small spot of glue at rear holds it in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Order a Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) Single Shot Ramp for a LA. Use the SSS online order form and a credit card. Almost impossible to order by phone. Best one I've found for a Savage action. Fits like a glove. Small spot of glue at rear holds it in.
    From all I've read that sounds like the proper fix for my situation. Reason I want to go with the follower is I can just toss rounds in there and they will fall into place, I've had a couple with other rifles that I tried what you speak of and ended up running the bullet into the barrel and not the chamber BUT I get where your coming from. Later,

Kirk

Mountain Man
    Here's what I did. I have a short action in a long action stock that I made a single shot. Made a small cardboard box to fill in 90% of the mag hole and then put SteelStik in to fill it in flush with the bottom of the receiver. Then I took a dummy round, coated it in Unique case lube and used it to mold the single shot feed ramp. I coated the bottom of the receiver with the same case lube to keep from permanently installing it in the stock and just pressed everything together to get a nice fit. I can now drop a round in the open action and rack the bolt closed without the projectile touching anything on the way in. Cost me about 6 bucks for epoxy.

Cheap and efficient.