Thread: New Model 99 Purchase/Sight Mounting Holes

Jim K

New Model 99 Purchase/Sight Mounting Holes

I found this forum while trying to find some information on a recently purchased Model 99 – 250/3000. It was in the original box and is in excellent condition. With the help of this forum and by digging through my collection of old Savage/Stevens gun catalogs I have determined it is an EG. I have not been able to find any references that would tell me the year it was built. The serial number is 734XXX. I have found a couple references in searching through past post on this site that indicated a S.N of 590XXX was built in 1951 and a S.N. of 958XXX was built in 1958.

The specifications in the 1950 Savage Catalog indicate the EG was only drilled and tapped for tang sights, whereas the other models (R & RS) available at that time were drilled for tang sights as well as the “Weaver telescope top mount”. A 1952 reference I have, The Official Gun Book, also indicates that in 1952 only the tang was drilled and tapped. My gun is drilled for both tang sights and scope mounts. A 1960 Reference, The Shooter’s Bible, indicates that the EG was, “Drilled and tapped for mounting telescopes and receiver sights”. No mention of drilled and tapped tang holes. So sometime between 1952 and 1960 the EG was drilled and tapped for both tang sights and scope mounts, and it appears at some time the tang holes were removed and the receiver was drilled and tapped for receiver sights and scope mounts. I’m assuming the rear scope mounting holes were used for mounting the receiver sights. Does any of this make sense? In reviewing all my old Savage Catalogs I’m amazed at all the possible variations of models, calibers, rotary vs. clip magazine, sight availability, safety position, stock configurations, etc. Has to be in the hundreds.

Analysis of all the data indicates the gun had to have been built between 1952 and 1958, and if I extrapolate, assuming that roughly the same number of EG’s were built each year, than I’m guessing the gun was built in either 1955 or 1956. Can some one confirm this?

Sorry for being long winded, Jim K

99trix

Re: New Model 99 Purchase/Sight Mounting Holes

There were very few of the 800,000 serial number used, so that method you will be off. Your rifle would have been made in 1954. This can be verified by checking the section on the front of the receiver where the lever attaches. You will find an oval with a number followed by a letter, if it is a F then it is 1954, G would be 1955. They never got all finished in the same sequence and some sat on the shelf for a few months pushing them into the next year.

The EG had a number of drilled and tapped rifles around 727,xxx - 730,000 but never had them all drilled and tapped until the 750,000 range. All EG had the tangs drilled and tapped, that never stopped until 1960 when the safety was moved there. If yours is factory drilled and tapped for a scope it will have the Model 99 stamp on the left side of the receiver, if someone had a smith do it the screws will go through the stamping. There were a number of nondrilled and tapped rifles that had the stamp on the left and no drilling and tapping, so it can't be proved one way or the other if it is done professionally and the stamp was on the left. Pretty much after 1955 they were drilled and tapped for both.

Hope this helps.

Jim K

Thanks for the information. I checked the stamped marking on the front of the receiver by the lever pivot and there is neither an "F" or a "G". The first number is very distingishable and is a "1". The second stamping is not as readable but looking at it with an 8X mangnifing glass, I'm confident it is a "3". So the number is the oval is a "13". Also, the "Savage Model 99" is on the left side of the receiver as you indicated. This gun was part of an estate and the deceased owner was only a gun collector. According to his son, he never hunted or shot any of his guns. The gun was in the orginal box with the orginal paper wrapping and there are no normal handling marks on the gun, and not a single scratch or dent on the stock. I mention this only because I believe the receiver holes for scope mounting were more likely put in by the factory and not a gunsmith.

When I took the forearm off, I noted three numbers stamped in the circular end that engages in the receiver. The numbers "8", "11", and "41" were clearly stamped and in a random pattern. Not sure if they are of any significance.

My next endeaver will be to try and find a tang sight or a vintage Weaver or Redford scope for the gun, and of course try to find another Model 99 now that I have been bitten by the Savage bug.

Jim K

Correction on the previous information relative to the markings on the forearm. The stampings on the forearm are "8", "11", and "H1".
    Jim K