Thread: Impressions and/or Advice: Savage Model 40 --- 22 Hornet?

Impressions and/or Advice: Savage Model 40 --- 22 Hornet?

I've been so impressed with the Mark II BV (22 LR) I got recently that I couldn't resist a Gunbroker.com auction for a new old stock Model 40 single shot 22 Hornet. It's the laminated thumbhole stock model. I don't have much experience with that style of stock, but I've shot a lot of hornets and it's my favorite of the several centerfire cartridges I shoot and reload. I prefer a single shot action, too, so the Model 25 repeater wasn't my first choice. Finding a new single shot Model 40 was totally unexpected since I estimate they've been discontinued for a few years.

Well, I'll get to the point. I won't have the gun for a week or more, so I'm hoping to hear from any of you about your impressions, good or bad, of this model and any advice or cautions you'd care to offer a new owner. Thanks! :-)

Jeez! By the deafening silence on this topic, I guess the Model 40 wasn't very popular. Well, I ordered a NOS one, a thumbhole stock version, and I'll take my chances.

I have one, not overly impressed with it.
    They had extraction problems at first so beware and bring a cleaning rod with you to push out the brass. They will repair for free.
    Accuracy is nothing to brag about but to be honest I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it. I got tired of spending more time fishing cases out than shooting.
    Maybe this winter I'll spend some time with it and try and work up a load, put a better scope and see if it can change my mind about it.
    For now it collects dust in the safe.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    I have one, not overly impressed with it.
    They had extraction problems at first so beware and bring a cleaning rod with you to push out the brass. They will repair for free.
    Accuracy is nothing to brag about but to be honest I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it. I got tired of spending more time fishing cases out than shooting.
    Maybe this winter I'll spend some time with it and try and work up a load, put a better scope and see if it can change my mind about it.
    For now it collects dust in the safe.
    Thank you... I understand this sticking cases business is a problem that has continued into the Model 25 repeater. Other brands of rifles can suffer the same problem. Unless it's a problem that can be attributed to excessive headspace, I'm hoping that careful reloading can prevent the breaking and sticking of the fired cases. I'll be sure to report back here in a couple of weeks anything I learn from my experience. For sure, I'll have a cleaning rod with me at the range!

rjtfroggy... by any chance were you using Hornady ammo or reloads with Hornady cases? As I recall, the only stuck/broken hornet cases I ever experienced were related to Hornady brass. When I used Remington (R-P) brass I didn't have those issues. Now I'm loading Nosler brass and it's the finest hornet brass I've ever seen.

I will have to check, honestly don't remember.
    I do know brand new Privi ran flawlessly.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I have one and have not experienced the extraction problems the others have even with full tilt hand loads . Mine shoots 3/4" groups at 100 all day long with speer 45 gr hornet bullets and 50 grain Midway Dog Towns. I'm not fond of the accu-trigger for hunting but it works as advertised. Mine is set up with a Bushnell 4 x 12 Trophy Scope. Mine is used for coyote hunting mostly and squirrels in the late season. This is a very serviceable rifle . It was designed to be cost effective and simple .I am very happy with mine

Basic Member
    I have only used Winchester and Remington brass . I haven't had any problems with either.

I've had one for several years, got re-chambered for K Hornet. Have no problems with ext & ejt in either Hornet or K. If by chance you have problems, check the c shaped spring that holds the extractor in place, some had one, some have two & they work better.