Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Lube

Basic Member

Case Lube

Never liked the case lubes off the shelf. Took too long to dry, tacky, colored cases. My neighbor introduced me to a homemade mix of pure lanolin and alcohol. And it works great. Dries quickly, clean with no residue.

A 12oz bottle of Iso-HEET fuel treatment and 3 tablespoons of lanolin mixed in a spray bottle. Only place in the county had the lanolin was a "health foods" store, that's the same ownership of the bar/grill on the other side of the building...what I call a real country store.

Happy with the mix.

schnyd112
    Lanolin? Like sheeps wool?all joking aside, Longrange has been pushing this mixture for a while. I have not yet tried it but I am about fed up with the setup I have now.

Basic Member
    Yes, from sheep.

Banned
    I am using the Hornady spray. I like the hand spray bottle before, this is not quite as good but works.

I am not up to home brews but may try it some time.

If there is a downside its the lube process but I just spray them, spread it around better with my fingers as I put the shell into the press.

It seems to loose effectiveness after a bit (I tend to do lots of 200) but I re-spray them as needed.

Far better than the old roll on pads, ungh.

I do like the eventual compete evaporation. It also breaks up the carbon on the neck and cleans up nicely in the vibrator .

Basic Member
    Try this one, it evaporates in 30 seconds and dries in 60 seconds. Leaves the lube on the case. No re-spray either. Ever stuck a case in your die? I also do large lots. Don't know if it will last six months before you get them loaded, but will the gummy stuff? Tried it side by side with an over the counter spray bottle brand...dries, spreads without fingers or rolling.

If I stick a case anytime soon, will post. Have less than $20 in this and it will be around 10,000+ cases later.

My drinkable home brews are better than over the counter as well.

Basic Member
    Have been using RCBS slick spray lube. Best so far I have tried. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...lube-4-oz-pump
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

I use imperial sizing wax. Easy no mess and never a problem

Just rub a.little on your fingers, wipe it on the case as you are putting it in the shell holder no problem.

For neck lube I use the forsters case neck graphiter

Basic Member
    LEE!

I've used Imperial Sizing Wax before but now pretty much only use Hornady One Shot. I even use it on my straight walled pistol cases for Cowboy Action Shooting - makes the press even easier to cycle.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    Lanolin? Like sheeps wool?all joking aside, Longrange has been pushing this mixture for a while. I have not yet tried it but I am about fed up with the setup I have now.
    Ron Burgundy don't know about case lube.

Basic Member
    Here on the farm we use Bag Balm to lube our cases and it also keep our hands udderly soft.

I've tried different lubes and the Hornady One Shot aerosol spray works best for me.

Stand cases up (I stack them in a cartridge box neck down, put thick construction paper over the heads and flip it, slide the paper out and then remove box).

Spray the one shot liberally from all four sides on a 45deg down angle.

Let the cases sit for 2 minutes, then size.

Thus far nothing else I tried sizes the brass with as little effort as the One Shot.

The Old Coach
    How does one get Imperial Wax OFF the cases once they're sized? Lanolin rinses right off with hot water.

Are these spray lubes just thin lanolin? How much does a can cost?

Personally I'm still using RCBS lube. Two small bottles I bought in 2008 are finally almost empty. Drop 100 or so decapped and clean cases in a large Ziplock Baggie, add a few drops of lube, zip closed and knead for a minute or two. Dump out on a clean sheet of butcher paper and start sizing. No waiting. Rinse the lube off and set out to dry.

Maybe only 50 cases it they're .30-06.

I too keep Bag Balm around. Will switch to that when the RCBS is finally gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Here on the farm we use Bag Balm to lube our cases and it also keep our hands udderly soft.
    Funny, I could have sworn you told us you used
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Funny, I could have sworn you told us you used
    Finally a reloader with a warped sense of humor like I have. Butt if you noticed my Bag Balm has lanolin.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
    I too keep Bag Balm around. Will switch to that when the RCBS is finally gone.
    The Bag Balm was a joke to see who was awake here. I was using RCBS Case Slick and liked it a lot. Now I'm mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Thats cheaper than Iso-HEET fuel treatment and my reloads don't backfire.

Basic Member
    Lanolin leaves nasty sticky residue. Try CMD #3 dissolved in heptane (brake clean) between 50/1 to 100/1 either weight or volume.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    I use imperial sizing wax. Easy no mess and never a problem

Just rub a.little on your fingers, wipe it on the case as you are putting it in the shell holder no problem.
    I roll four, five or six at a time across a RCBS lube pad w/Imperial.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I use Mink Oil paste. It's much like Imperial wax. - Shane

First starting out I think it was Lyman case lube maybe and an the pad. I got tired of lube dents so I read about some of the homemade lubes and realized ChapStick was similar to some. I had 10 or 16 old sticks in a bag in the bathroom cabinet. Those lasted me about 3 years with no problems and the ammo smelled great.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If your cases are sticky with lanolin mix, probably used too much in the mix. HEET (isopropyl alcohol), $2/12oz; 4oz liquid lanolin $5.

Mixed spray requires little and easy to apply, dries quickly, no stickiness, clean. 4 oz bottle of liquid lanolin makes 48 oz of mix. Flammable however.

Basic Member
    No one uses olive oil? Doesn't even have to be extra virgin...

I have heard of people using Pam.

Basic Member
    I've been using the 12 oz iso-Heet with 1.5 oz Lanolin mixture for over year now. I am sold on it. Not because its cheap. but works great and is fast, Have had zero stuck cases with it. I put cases in box, shake box while tilting and about a third stand up to get spray in necks, shake again and spray one more time.

I put my cases in a gallon zip-lok baggie give it a couple of squirts, zip it up and mix the cases really well and then dump them out on a clean rag. Once the alcohol is evaporated size away. I have been doing this method for 4 years and knock on wood zero stuck cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast