Thread: Savis Axis 30-06 Issues

Basic Member

Savis Axis 30-06 Issues

I have a savage axis 30-06 with the standard trigger. When I first got the rifle I cut the spring down to have a lighter trigger pull but I am still not satisfied with it completely so I think I am going to try and polish the sear a bit. I do see that they have a Timney trigger but I am not sure if I want to get it.

Now one issue I have with the Axis is the LOP. It is just uncomfortable for me and seems to long which is odd because I have a savage 111 that feels great. I currently have a two piece scope mount on it with a Vortex Crossfire 3x9x40 that seems to be mounted to far forward also even though I can't move it back any more. Does anyone use an aftermarket stock for the Axis or a one piece scope mount with more adjustment? I thought about a boyds aftermarket.

Another issue with the rifle is the feeding. The rifle does not feed from the magazine properly and always jams. I may have a weak magazine spring I have not bought a new magazine to try. Has anyone else experienced issues like this.

Trigger shimming is the safest, most cost-effective way to crisp up the trigger pull.

My opinion on Boyds Axis stocks of late is not as good as it used to be, but I have used many of their stocks for my Axis projects. Their standard LOP is 13.75", which may be shorter than the Axis factory LOP. I've had full size Axises with 14.25" LOPs and one with a 13.5" LOP. They also offer custom LOP from 12.75-14.75" for $25. I always get the standard LOP and use a one-piece scope mount rail. Both EGW and Weaver make good products.

The feeding problem could be a magazine spring issue, but it could also be an issue with how the magazine locks into the rifle. If the magazine isn't seated properly, it may angle the rounds the wrong way.

I brought home a Savage Axis II XP in .30-06 with the Boyd's stock this Spring for killing U.P. whitetail deer. When I unboxed it and started playing with it my immediate reaction was not favorable. I didn't feel that I had spent too much on it, I felt that I should have spent more to get a better gun. I particularly didn't like the way it fed a round from the magazine into the receiver. But I cleaned it and shot it, and cleaned it and shot it and then I cleaned it some more. I paid a lot of attention to any edges or corners that even whispered a little rough.

I don't have a full box through it yet, and I have to report that the action has improved significantly. I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch, but I do know how to think. After I adjusted the trigger for a much lighter pull, I now feel that I have a pretty darned good rifle that meets the purchase specification. I wasn't buying an heirloom, I was buying a tool.

BZimm
    I take responsibility for my actions.....not yours.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input and videos regarding the Boyd's stock and trigger job.

That is basically my immediate reaction also, I mean since I am comparing the rifle to other rifles I have used...winchester model 70, REM 700 and my savage 11, I found this rifle unfavorable. But those are unfair comparisons really.

I do hope after adjusting the trigger some more, I did it yesterday, starting to reload for it and putting a Boyd's stock on it eventually (thinking the thumbhole version) I will grow to like the rifle. I may even get a one piece scope mount if I can find one cheaper.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk