Thread: Bolt release lever

Bolt release lever

Fellas, long story short made a good offer on this 116 .375 Ruger used with a broken bolt release lever. This Accutrigger seems well designed short of that mim type steel. Dug around the net and found nary a one. Suspect I need to contact Savage Arms or does anyone have a spare I could pick up from them? Owner must have dropped the barreled action, surely it can't just "break" depressing the lever.
    thanks for any help.

Banned
    Ahh Weedhopper, it is quit easy and even somewhat painless (and I just went through this so...)

Underlying this is its not JUST a bolt release lever, its also the Sear! Lights start to come on, horns sound and......

Savage is very protective of trigger parts. Ergo none in the wild. Gunsmiths might have them but you won't find them free range.

So, get the Serial number off the gun and call Savage. They are very nice, one of the best customer services I have ever run into.

They will set up the purchase and send you a release form (email) . Fill it out, Sign that and fax it back and they will send you the Bolt Relies /Sear.

Something around $12 with shipping.

What I don't know and maybe someone can weigh in on, if you want to convert it to Target Sear, what they will do as the reference I was asked for was the gun SN and in my case that had the Varmint Sear (though I think they are the same between hunter and varmint, lot of different numbers drifting around out there and am somewhat confused if its the same part, slightly differ or????? I have converted the Hunter sear to light pull with the change to the
    Varmint Spring.

The Target Sear is a part unto itself for sure (or so I think)

Team Savage
    I have bought them from Numrich gun parts corp.

Egun parts.....yes.

Banned
    Every place I looked including Numrich had "back order" ergo just went to Savage.

Egun search turns up a lot of vendors but no one by Egun.

Contact Savage. Sign a consent/release of liability form. Order three and save them for someone that needs it. Pay the price. Wait.... Receive your part. Bang
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Numerichs nada.....will contact Savage Arms Monday. Thanks fellas!

If you have the broken part you can have just about anyone weld it back on and you'll never see the weld since it will be behind the stock, and once brownells or some other place gets them in stock just replace it.

Or if you don't have the broken part, you can weld something similar to the sear for now.

Edit: I assume your talking about the top bolt release and not the bottom type, right ?

correct. I don't need this Grizz gun yet so I can wait. Have 2 other .375H&H that have simpler designs of the trigger. A pre-64 an a Whitworth if they come out of hibernation. ��

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    If you have the broken part you can have just about anyone weld it back on and you'll never see the weld since it will be behind the stock, and once brownells or some other place gets them in stock just replace it.

Or if you don't have the broken part, you can weld something similar to the sear for now.

Edit: I assume your talking about the top bolt release and not the bottom type, right ?
    The bolt release is part of the sear, which I believe to be heat treated, so carefully weld it...

Banned
    That's some pretty thin and small stuff to weld.

No a welder but might braze it, not sure I know a welder that fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    That's some pretty thin and small stuff to weld.

No a welder but might braze it, not sure I know a welder that fine.
    TIG.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Broken Sear

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    TIG.
    It's not close to being too thin. Indeed, a good tig welder could do that in his sleep. And make it pretty. I know a top flight welder that can weld metals close to the thickness of aluminum foil.

Basic Member
    That thing is a lot thicker than auto body metal. If a welder say its too thin he's not a welder.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
    It's not close to being too thin. Indeed, a good tig welder could do that in his sleep. And make it pretty. I know a top flight welder that can weld metals close to the thickness of aluminum foil.
    Got it, its been a long time since I was involved in welding and it was all heavier stuff (1/4 inch or more)

I know they can weld auto skin, but that is not a serious structure , didn't know you could do solid weld on thin stuff that would stand up to sear type stress.

Cool, good to know.