Thread: Loads wanted for 64gr Nosler Bonded in .223 Rem Varget/ ADI2208

Aussie shooter

Loads wanted for 64gr Nosler Bonded in .223 Rem Varget/ ADI2208

G'day, Iḿ in Oz, having a minir problem with reloading for ...unusual for here...deer.. My rifle is a Savage mod 114 in .223 rem with a one in nine twist, usually reserved for dogs (literally), cats and foxes...but recently deer have begun to appear. I know .223 is a bit on the small cal side for deer...but it will have to be a case of make do. The lands private property, I'm a shooter with 50 years experience and a resonable shot...but new (ish) to reloading. I was told the Nosler 64gr bnonded are good for deer, I have ADI powders, 2208 is supposed to be the same as Vaerget, anyone have loads they'd recommend?, Cheers and Thanks in advance.

Try Nosler or Hodgdon website.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Varget is a great powder for .223. My old load for Service Rifle in high power was 25 grs of Varget with 69 Gr Sierra Match King bullets. My current Varmint load is 26.2 Grs of Varget with 55 Gr Berger MEF bullets. Both loads ave very accurate and effective. With a 64 Gr bullet I'd start at 25 Grs and work up to the most effective and accurate load you can develop with that bullet.
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

Basic Member
    I'd use a Sierra 65 game king. They were specifically designed for big red kangaroos and larger game such as deer. I use them for coyotes and deer, they hit like a sledgehammer.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Lymans manual #49 has several loads listed for Sierra 63g SMP, might help some.

Aussie shooter
    Thanks for that, I knew you guys would have some ideas...... I have a box of 69gr Sierras here somewhere, might give them a try.( Gee I made a few typo's in my post...apologies... I wasn't wearing my glasses)
    Have a Merry Christmas guys and thanks again

Basic Member
    I harvested my deer with a regular varmint 55gr soft point. The key is to keep the distance to a point where a central nervous system hit can be made with boring regularity if using bullets designed for varmints. I hit mine at the neck/skull junction at 80 yards, from a solid sitting position, and it was a true "bang flop". The point being, that if you need the bonded or partition bullets because of less than ideal shot opportunities limit you to hitting vital organs, go with them. If the deer are calm and not moving or you can patiently wait for a precise shot, any bullet from a .223 will work if done with care. Hope you find something that works well and is very accurate.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

was told the Nosler 64gr bonded are good for deer
    Have a friend that hunts in the mountains around Yellowstone Park that has uses that bullet in his 223 for whitetail deer. He says at shorter ranges it is all he has needed. Personally, I could never get that particular bullet to shoot particularly good in any of my Savage 223's. Loads were accurate enough for hunting large game but that was about it.