Thread: New Savage A17 scope rings?

Grizzly7mm

New Savage A17 scope rings?

I just got a new A17 rifle, and I need to pick up scope rings for it. I know nothing about dovetail rings though (I went as far as changing them out to pica picatinny on my model 11), so I want to make sure I get correct ones for this. I haven't decided on a scope yet, but I was thinking the Bushnell AR optics rimfire scope 2-7x32, but would like a bigger objective while still keeping the 2-7 power.

Basic Member
    The A17 does not have Dovetail bases, I used this base on my A17 and A22 and it fits perfect

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail...06843&CAT=3657

2-7 not enough for a old guy to see 100 to 200 yards :) I used a 4-12 x40 Bushnell on both mine

Grizzly7mm
    I'm pretty sure it does, as I bought some and it works. Weaver Grand Slams to be exact. And I picked up a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II scope to use. I know it's for 22lr calibration with the bdc, but I'm just using it for the crosshairs. I went to a local sporting good store, but had to make the trip twice as the first scope I bought didn't work, it was too short for the rings on the rifle (BSA sweet 17)

Basic Member
    The A 17 is drilled and tapped for scope bases, No dovetail on top
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/A17

post a pic of your A17 with the dovetail, I would like to see it

Grizzly7mm
    I guess it's actually a "weaver" base looking at more information. But they came on the gun, and the gun is (was before i shot it) brand new when I got the rings and scope for it. It only has one cross slot for the rings, so that's where they go, no adjustments forward or backwards, no other slots. I was always told it was a dovetail mount, and that a weaver rail looks a lot like a picatinny, but had different specs. When you compare the two, a weaver with multiple slots, and a picatinny rail, they do look similar (the weaver and picatinny rail) and a lot different than the single slot little section on my rifle.

However, those were factory installed, the dealer didn't put them on, nor did I. Obviously it's drilled and tapped for the bases, but it included the bases as well

here's what I mean by the weaver and picatinny looking the same. That's how i understood it. As you can see the weaver doesn't have the groove down the center, and from what I was told that the size of the grooves vary much more than a picatinny (with the picatinny being milspec)

But if you compare the single slot sections of weaver to the multiple slots, they don't look similar IMO due to only the one slot on the short weaver sections. And having always been told that it was a dovetail, that's what I always called it. This is my first time actually dealing with these, the lasts one I just took them off and upgraded to true picatinny.

So the name error is my fault, but the bases were factory installed

Basic Member
    get the mount I listed above and you will be happier :) put a drop of blue permatex thread locker on the screws