Thread: newbie with 12FV, so many questions...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

newbie with 12FV, so many questions...

I started shooting this year after meaning to get around to it for a few decades, LOL. I have a 14 year old son now and we enjoy target shooting together. We started with a Savage Model 19 NRA target rifle from about 1940. Really enjoyed using the peep site and astounded how accurate they can be, but lots of practice required just to learn to "see" what you are shooting at. I like "old school", it's a great education :-)

Fast forward a bit and now I am an eager owner of a new Cabella's 12FV in 308. Not sure I meant to come home with a gun that day, but here we are. In general I am surprised how complicated these decisions are, but I will assume that is just adding to the fun. I have not shot this yet, still figuring out what I have and what to go with it.

I have 2 areas of questions just to start. I have read tons of stuff here but things are still a little hazy for this beginner.

My first question is about what exactly I have. I favored this over the Cabella's 10T initially because I thought the Model 12 would have a heavier duty action compared to other 10 based models. I see now after further reading here though that this gun does not have a large shank barrel, but it is 26". Is this really a Model 10 action? I understand it is not a Model 12 full target action with a little single shot ejector port, but I was hoping the ejection port would be smaller than a Model 10 and perhaps a thicker action in general. It appears it takes the same scope bases though so perhaps my hopes were optimistic?

My intent is to mount an SWFA 12x42 mil/mil scope for target shooting, 100-300 yards to start. This scope has a 49.5 mm bell diameter, so let's call it 50mm. I need to raise it 0.4" (10 mm) and then a little more for clearance. My barrel has about 0.15" (3.81 mm) drop 6" out from the action.

I see the rings are specified for how high they are, but so far I don't see a spec for the height provided by the rails, EGW for instance. The pictures even show different heights . The Burris Sig Zee medium are 0.18" and high are 0.3". So 0.15" and 0.18" gives me 0.33", will an EGW rail give me enough to clear?
    Last edited by upinthehills; 12-15-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling