Thread: bolt baffle

Basic Member

bolt baffle

I will be the first to admit that "I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING" So probably a stupid question but, I have a model 11 in 7mm-08 that I am changing
    over to a 6x45. While waiting for my barrel to be made I have been rounding up the parts I need. I thought I had everything then I see a post somewhere on bolt baffles. What are they? what do they
    do? and do I need a different one for the switch I am doing? Thanks for any help Gary

Team Savage
    Front bolt baffle sits behind the bolt head it limits rear bolt travel, you should be OK

With a 6x45, you're probably going to need to use a 223 magazine. Using your current front baffle, the bolt will stop about a 1/2 inch behind the case head. Not a real big deal, but since you're going to have to change the bolt head, you might as well change the baffle. Then the bolt will stop just behind the case head.

*****I think almost everyone that has changed a bolt baffle has installed it backwards at least once. There's a small rib that sticks out of one lug. Pay attention to where it is before disassembling the original bolt.*****

Here's what a 223 bolt baffle looks like:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/177...rough-16-steel

Oh yeah, there's also a rear baffle. It's that C shaped piece in front of the bolt handle. It's job is primary extraction.

Best of luck,
    Dana
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Quote Originally Posted by dfrosch View Post

*****I think almost everyone that has changed a bolt baffle has installed it backwards at least once. There's a small rib that sticks out of one lug. Pay attention to where it is before disassembling the original bolt.*****
    Yep, guilty as charged.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrosch View Post
    I think almost everyone that has changed a bolt baffle has installed it backwards at least once
    ...and a bolthead 180 out a time or three!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    ...and a bolthead 180 out a time or three!

Bill
    Really hate it when it takes three tries to get it right.

Basic Member
    Well I went and ordered one I think the shorter bolt throw will be convenient. yeah I have picked up a bolt head and parts kit and a 223 magazine. I borrowed the tools to swap the barrel out, now its the waiting game.
    Thanks for the help.
    Gary

Why don't you do a little studying while you're waiting?
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Article-Links

When you rebuild your bolt, pay attention to the Savage logo on the bolt body, the extractor position on the bolt head and that little fin/rib on the baffle. Cell phone cameras are wonderful tools. You might need to adjust the firing pin protrusion. There's a "how to" article in the link.

Basic Member
    Well believe it or not I do use the search function on this site and many other sites that I frequent . That being said, the questions that I asked had to be interpreted from the information given and so it still left my questions unanswered. I don't like to assume anything with things that may harm you! I realize that the same questions get asked over and over and it can get frustrating please don't take it personal but a lot of us are not as well equipped in the understanding of things unless it's literally spelled out for us. You did answer on what I needed and now I understand more of it on the workings of Savage firearms .For that I THANKYOU!
    Gary

Hi Gary,

We're glad to help. Still remember the feeling of working on my first build. Excited about creating something, but scared I would blow something up. The articles are a very good reference, but there's no substitute for experience. I'm still learning after nine years and a dozen or so builds.

Keep asking. Lots of helpful people on this site.

And, post pics when it's done.

All the best,
    Dana