Thread: Getting short cartridges (308/243) to feed in centerfeed long action

Getting short cartridges (308/243) to feed in centerfeed long action

I have a 110 LA that I am using as a switch barrel rifle and the 22-250 and 243 won't reliably feed from the 30-06 centerfeed magazine. I ordered a short action centerfeed box, follower and spring but mounting it is problematic to say the least. The rifle is set up for the 300 Win mag now but elk season is over and I want to convert it to 22-250 for coyote hunting. Any ideas?

Depends upon what specifically is your issue..??

I re-chambered a 7mm Rem mag to 22-250 and had no issues. I rechambered a 30-06 to 264 WM and had to tweek the feedlips, but not the follower.

So, what exactly does not feeding mean for you?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

You had no issues getting the 22-250 to feed from a magnum centerfeed box? You got 264 Winchester magnum cartridges to feed from a centerfeed box made for the 30-06? Feeding means to me that I can put the cartridges in the magazine and they will feed smoothly into the chamber, something the 22-250 won't do coming out of a centerfeed magazine box made for the 30-06.

So for the 22-250, all was well.
    The 264 follower pressure was fine, but needed to bend on the feed lips a bit. First time it split them all out like a Garand clip ejection! Was a bit funny...

So what what does "won't feed smoothly" mean? Does the nose of the cartridge dive? Does the bolt ride over the case head? Is it just difficult to slide out of the feed lips? Does it spit them out the top like mentos in soda?

If you want a specific answer, gotta give specific details. Otherwise this is trying to do surgery on the phone, while using a translator.

Thank God your not a surgeon! The base of the case pops free from the feed lips before the front of the cartridge is trapped by the chamber. I can make one round feed if it's the only one in the magazine and I very briskly operate the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    Thank God your not a surgeon! .
    If my signature counts for anything, I could be!! That sounds to me like you need to tweek the feedlips some, towards the front of the magazine. That way it is captured within the magazine for longer, and not bouncing around in the action. You could either do what you did and change parts, but IME that isn't as reliable as it's cracked-up to be. Or start just barely fooling with the feeding lips.