Thread: any boyds issues?

Basic Member

any boyds issues?

looking to treat myself to a boyds for Christmas and put it on my axis HB 223.

anyone have any issues with their stocks? did accuracy drop off when adding it?

Basic Member
    also what stock other than thumbhole and varmint would you recommend for this rifle? using for hunting with a bipod and benchwork.

Boyds makes nice stocks you will be very happy with them. It seems they have their backlog problems taken care of as the last few I have ordered have arrived within two weeks. I am not a fan of the thumbhole personally but I really like the Prairie hunter for a hunting stock.

Basic Member
    Go with a colored laminate, is resin impregnated making it stronger and more stable than plywood or hardwood. Looks good too.

bigger
    Agree with Stomp. I run the Prairie Hunter on my hunting rifle. The shape fits me very well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	2322
    (not the pink one)

+1 for the Prairie Hunter. It literally dropped in to my Savage Axis action. I didn't have to do anything to it until I had to open the barrel channel for the new CBI that I put on it. She will put 5 in a nickel at 100 yards now.

Basic Member
    I have both a .243 and .308 Savage Axis XP II in Boyds... They both shoot 1/2" groups just dropped in. Only downside is the laminated stocks are *heavy*, and the stock recoil pad almost does not have the right to be called a pad. With the .308 I got the 1" Pachmayr which works great. And +1 for the Prairie Hunter, great profile!

I made a video on some issues I have with more recent Boyds Axis stocks. Consider the Pro Varmint as another option. I will second the recommendation for the colored laminate over the standard painted plywood and 1" Limbsaver pad over the standard pad.

Basic Member
    Got two new provarmint in black plywood, before realizing the resin laminate difference.

At any rate, I like them both. I put pillars in my 7 rem mag and bedded it. I just dropped in my 25-06. Put the same brand barrel on them and they both shoot really nice. I got the adjustable cheek piece, and I am loving it.

Yes, they are heavy. I am going to machine and drill out some of the material to lighten the forearm and "skeletonize" the stock. Still working out how that will look and work.

This is my 7mm rem mag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I made a video on some issues I have with more recent Boyds Axis stocks. Consider the Pro Varmint as another option. I will second the recommendation for the colored laminate over the standard painted plywood and 1" Limbsaver pad over the standard pad.
    I got the 1" limbsaver pad, and extended length of pull. It is nice. My 7 rem mag with the brake is tamed down to about like a .243. My 25-06 is even easier than that.

Banned
    Go with the heavier (longer) pad, I did not and am sorry, my choice but not much padding.

That said, I didn't' get a chance with mine, the wind blew the target over, it was cold (20) and I gave up as I was getting eratic. Have to see on accuracy but the 111BTh is flirting with .250 x 5 holes if I can hold up my end (many 4 into one hole and a flyer)

Only issue I had was I ordered a Bull channel and its barely a Varmint profile channel. Ok as that is what is there now but if I get another bull I will need to open it up. I did on the 111 BTH, sealed it with Formbys and good.

Quality was good, fit was good and it took just a week.

I like the colored Laminates and have 3 of them now. Two are Boyds.

I also like the TH Varmint as its heavier.

jammer300
    I put a Prairie hunter stock on my AXIS II in 6.5 creedmoor just a couple weeks ago and I like it . Just switching the stock away from the flimsy savage stock to the boyds improved the accuracy. I went from shooting a 2" group at 200 yards to shooting a 3/4" group at 200 yards.

Savage01
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Go with a colored laminate, is resin impregnated making it stronger and more stable than plywood or hardwood. Looks good too.
    Hi all, so I ran into this thread and didn't realize there was a plywood stock out there. I do understand the difference.
    So now I have a question, I was looking at a ProVarmit in coyote.
    Is that considered a colored laminate??
    Is it just the painted stocks that are of lesser quality?
    Thanks
    Chuck

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage01 View Post
    Hi all, so I ran into this thread and didn't realize there was a plywood stock out there. I do understand the difference.
    So now I have a question, I was looking at a ProVarmit in coyote.
    Is that considered a colored laminate??
    Is it just the painted stocks that are of lesser quality?
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Coyote is resin laminated. Basically, if you can see the neat layers, its laminated. A painted stock still might be laminated...

But, the provarmint in black is plywood.

Coyote looks awesome. Do it!

My only Boyds issue is they don't list a heavy barrel long action in 111 or axis. I'd like one of each. I prefer to build on long actions.

Basic Member
    Double check. If not, sand it out... worked for me in the provarmint for a contour just bigger than the sporter. Other stock contours might not work though cause they are too narrow.

In fact, I am pretty sure some contours don't come in a HB contour because the fore is too small... check other stock styles. I dont know that I've looked for a HB in 110...

I'm having a hard time buying the "not enough wood" angle, there is plenty of wood on my classic short axis action, the axis long action is the same **** size and not offered in heavy barrel. The savage long action is not much longer than than the axis.

Ninner,

The Prairie hunter barrel channel can be opened up to accommodate a Heavy Sporter or Light Varmint contour, but not any bigger unless you don't care if you lose the flats or sides of the barrel channel. If you want a stock that has "enough wood" to allow you to open the channel large enough for a HB, you will have to stick with the Provarmint, or Thumbhole Varmint I believe.