Thread: savage sporter 32-20

usnavy70

savage sporter 32-20

hello all,i'm new to this very informative savage site,i have some ?'s about a savage sporter 32-20 I picked up @a show here in pa.it took me awhile to find the serial#,it is on the end of the receiver where the bolt goes in.#27066&the end of the bolt is open-is this supposed to be this way?also I took the butt plate off&stamped on both the plate&stock is the #29355.the rifle is in decent cond.no extra holes in barrel at all.the bore is pitted for about 2-3" forward of the chamber.the rest of the barrel is nice shape.it has the blade for front sight,rear sight is a folding sight-no markings anywhere.the stock is in really good cond.most of these 23c's I've seen have the serial# forward of the bolt-could this mean this one is an early model sporter? any info. at all will be greatly appreciated! thankyou! usnavy70

Basic Member
    Can you post any pictures for us that like to gawk!!?? Those old sporters are neat rifles. I picked up two last summer. A .25-20 and a .22 Hornet, couldn't seal the deal on a .32-20, but maybe soon!!
    Info is hard to come by on these rifles, somebody will show up with more knowledge than me!!

And, congrats on the find!!

usnavy70
    yes al I will post pics!please tell me how.it may take me awhile. thanks

Basic Member
    If you have an account with Shutterfly, or someplace similar, you can just copy and paste your picture, like I did. That's the 23D in .22 Hornet. I put a vintage Weaver 4x on it. I modified one of Brownells universal dovetail mounts to attach to the factory D&Td holes, for a peep sight. Didn't want to put any holes in it that beauty that don't belong.

usnavy70
    that is a very nice look'in hornet al.as soon as figure out this pic posting I will get the pics on here.i also have 2 23d's,2 342's &some 219&220's- a hornet,30-30&a 25-20.12ga.&16ga.&my dad's 340 30-30.my dad gave me the 340 over 50 years ago.that rifle gave me&my wife&children many many venison meals.i never shot a deer over 50 yds.wth that gun.i just love that rifle.somehow I will post the pics of all the savage's I have.just really well made, good dependable firearms!

Basic Member
    The serial number location is correct for early guns, also the stock & buttplate matching each other but not the gun is also the norm - discussions on this came up with the theory that the design of these resulted in such consistent results from the machining operations that they did not require individual fitting of the receivers to stocks, so Savage did not take the time to do so.

usnavy70
    Sav22,thank you much for this info.could you tell if the bolt being open on the end towards your face is the norm?i know later 23's are closed. thanks again