Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend brand of barrel for 110 sporter replacement?

Recommend brand of barrel for 110 sporter replacement?

I'd like to do my first hands-on re-barrel of an older 110 Sporter which is now a 270 Win. I'm thinking of doing a 22-250 for paper target shooting out to 300 yards, but mainly 100 yards, and I have lots of Sierra MatchKing 22 cal bullets. I like the sporter weight barrel, and I know its limitations.

Anyway, would anyone like to recommend a brand of barrel for this project? My budget is flexible, but I don't need to be extreme about this either. My wishes are high quality and easy to install, so I may need some coaching from the vendor. Thanks!

Banned
    I would join the group here and see, someone may chime in or look at Ebay/Gunbrokers (and or run searches) and see if you can get a takeoff.

If you are going with a sporter contour there really is no benefit (my opinion) in an aftermarket if you can get a Savage

At the least after market wise you would be better off value wise getting a heavy hunter profile.

Thanks, RC20. I want to explore all options, so getting a new or little used takeoff would be ok with me.

Team Savage
    Gunshack has savage barrels listed as in stock for $100. They also show mcgowen in #4 contour for $299
    I have some mcgowen barrels and they shoot great for me
    Last edited by bc160; 12-11-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Basic Member
    Hey, kimberkook...nice to see a friendly face from RFC here. Looks like there are some sporter weight Savage barrels in the classifieds here. Too light? I have been thinking about a Bull .223 barrel from Criterion. Maybe in .223 Wydle?

Quote Originally Posted by flangster View Post
    Hey, kimberkook...nice to see a friendly face from RFC here. Looks like there are some sporter weight Savage barrels in the classifieds here. Too light? I have been thinking about a Bull .223 barrel from Criterion. Maybe in .223 Wydle?
    Hey flangster! Nice to find you here, and thanks for the welcome. Yep, I have the Savage Bug--- I've had two old 110 sporters follow me home, and a third on the way. The most recent is a caliber I'm not familiar with, 270 Win. I'm going to shoot it a bit just to learn about 270s, but in the future the 22-250 is the planned conversion. I'd like to try my hand at a barrel change so this should be a good project to learn from.

I'll have to Google .223 Wydle because I don't know squat about it. As I mentioned in your thread, the old Savage 112V I used to have really liked the 20" straight bull barrel Pac-Nor made for me and chambered in 22 BenchRest. I really liked the configuration for its bedrock stability. Right now I want to stick to factory sporter contours. One of my 110s is a circa 1990 factory 223 Rem in sporter weight. Since early this week it wears a Bell and Carlson stock, and that's a huge upgrade from the factory birch. I posted a photo of it in the Aftermarket Stocks forum here. Anyway, floating above this stock my slim factory 223 barrel, all 22" of it, is doing very well for my 50 and 100 yard bench shooting. Much better than a vintage classic Rem 700 Varmint Special (HB) I had until recently. It was good, but the Savage is better. But everyone here knows that!

Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    Gunshack has savage barrels listed as in stock for $100. They also show mcgowen in #4 contour for $299
    I have some mcgowen barrels and they shoot great for me
    bc160, thanks for the tip on GunShack. I want to support the Forum sponsors, and I've already ordered a few things from them. By the time I noticed the used 22-250 barrel it appears as "Out of Stock" for purchase. Guess I missed it, but I haven't phoned them to verify. As for the McGowen, I don't know anything about them, so it's nice to hear that you're pleased with yours. I haven't learned enough about "sporter" contours to know if a #4 is the same contour as a factory sporter 22" and that's important to me. I'm now using these wonderful Bell and Carlson aftermarket stocks and so far, the factory sporter barrel has perfect float clearance. But I'll have to get this settled, because if I don't get another factory barrel and order an aftermarket, I'll have to have the contour spec figured out. :-)

Team Savage
    The #4 is going to be a little heavier than a factory Sporter. If you just Google mcgowen barrels they have a list of their contours so you can see the measurements

Quote Originally Posted by bc160 View Post
    The #4 is going to be a little heavier than a factory Sporter. If you just Google mcgowen barrels they have a list of their contours so you can see the measurements
    Got it! Thanks for mentioning the Mcgowen website. They do list a blued chrome moly 22" "Savage Sporter" as a pre-fit option, so that's on my "A List" right now. I've also responded to a couple of leads on factory take-offs in the Classifieds here, but I may be too late on those. One way or another, this project start is coming together. Thanks for the help!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberkook View Post
    Hey flangster! Nice to find you here, and thanks for the welcome. Yep, I have the Savage Bug--- I've had two old 110 sporters follow me home, and a third on the way. The most recent is a caliber I'm not familiar with, 270 Win. I'm going to shoot it a bit just to learn about 270s, but in the future the 22-250 is the planned conversion. I'd like to try my hand at a barrel change so this should be a good project to learn from.

I'll have to Google .223 Wydle because I don't know squat about itMuch better than a vintage classic Rem 700 Varmint Special (HB) I had until recently. It was good, but the Savage is better. But everyone here knows that!
    Me=All thumbs. Make that .223 Wylde. It is a chamber that is reamed to take both .223 and 5.56 pressures. Useful Wikipedia explanation here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber

"The chamber is made with the external dimensions and lead angle as found in the military 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge and the 0.2240 inch free bore diameter as found in the civilian SAAMI .223 Remington cartridge.[4] Rifles with a .223 Wylde chamber will typically accept both .223 Remington and 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition." Hey, it was news to me too. That's the thing about folks here. . . they are always going to teach you something new.

The folks at McGowan are making me a .222 heavy barrel. I am looking for a .223 Remington (or Wylde) heavy barrel to make it a set. But rather than hijack this thread further, I will start a new one in the 110 action forum to detail my own version of your entry into "Switch Barrel World" -- sounds like you and I made similar decisions at similar moments (and are on similar places in the learning curve . . .)

Flangster, I love the .222 and may find a donor action to go there with a Savage 110, too. For now I will have to suffer along with a pristine 1969 Remington 700 BDL sporter. It shoots as good as it looks ( I love these emoticons! Much better selection than RFC.)

Banned
    ER shaw makes a lot of Savage barrels, that's another option at lower cost than many others.

Again, unless you go to a heavier contour (at lest Savage Varmint) I would not waste the money on a Criterions, Shilen, XC

Basic Member
    I have looked at the Shaw barrels and it is cool that Savage shooters have them as a resource. Might go that route still. I worry a little that for just a bit more money, I could get something custom. But then again, I wouldn't exactly defend my decision-making process on this stuff ....Too much emotion involved.

[Edit: the barrel on this action will most definitely be a heavy contour. Last barrel I ordered was straight-no-taper -- no contour at all, unless "round" is a contour." But it is pretty much shooting from the bench these days so no "woods-gun" compromise . . .this past spring I bought a Remington 700 off of Gunbroker with barrel that was about as thick as a soup can. . . shoots good though . . .]

[Edit . . . Duh. I see this was meant for kimberkook. I have seen good things about Shaw barrels, though]

Thanks, but while it's still listed, it's sold (Out of Stock). It's been this way for two weeks. Not the best website maintenance, but that's often the case anymore.

Shilen and pac-nor
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Anyone familiar with the Shilen sporter barrel? At the club where I used to shoot in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Shilen and Kreiger barrels were very popular, especially when teamed up with the BAT actions that were produced in nearby Rathdrum by Bruce Thom. I was focused on all original rifles in those days and didn't pay much attention to why these aftermarket barrels and match actions were favored.

Banned
    I have a Shilen Bull, personally I would not spend money on an after market barrel and not get a heavier profile.

Personally I would never have anything less than the Savage Varmint (which is a heavy barrel)

Of my three barrels, the Shilen cleans up the easiest, XC next, Savage is harder by double the XC.

Shilen makes good barrels, one of their sporters is going to be better than a Savage (most likely -no guarantee) I will be testing a Savage 30-06 pencil barrel extensively this coming year to see if I can get it to shoot 5 shot groups with proper cool down and reloads.

I've posted a Wanted ad in the Classifieds here to see if someone will part with an original 110 factory sporter barrel in 22-250. I like the satin blue finish of that vintage. While I know a sporter weight barrel is inferior to a heavier varmint style barrel, my use of a B&C stock profiled for a sporter barrel is driving this choice. I really don't want to hog it out for the larger barrel diameter. Anyway, if a nice factory take-off barrel is out there, I'd like to get it. If that doesn't work, I'll go the aftermarket route and really enjoy that upgrade. :-)

Banned
    Too bad you don't want a 30-06!

Yes I do like the old blue, nicest receiver is the older BTH111 in that.

The stainless barrel does look really good with that combination (I have gotten a lot of compliments) so that's maybe e an option in a sporter.

And my personal take aside, I admire your sticking with what you want.

I was very conflicted on a Bull vs a Varmint profile. I went with the Bull, I think that is the right choice stability wise.

Not sorry I have the Varmint as it allows me to play with that. Quit a difference weight wise so I have some idea with 3 of the Savage variants (no heavy Sporter barrel and not even sure what model that barrel comes on?) Savage site is very poor in details.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Too bad you don't want a 30-06! ...
    I see that there is one for sale in the Classifieds. Fact is, I already have one, a decent 110E (sporter with open sights), that shoots great. Most of the time I only shoot handholds using Trail Boss powder and 155 gr. bullets. It's like shooting a 22 Mag that makes big holes! I love it.

Basic Member
    I would rebarrel with a factory lightweight barrel, such as a takeoff barrel from Northland Shooters. I did that, and the rifle shot under 0.5" CTC for 5 shots at 100 yards.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/khoaplpree...15100.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    I would rebarrel with a factory lightweight barrel, such as a takeoff barrel from Northland Shooters. I did that, and the rifle shot under 0.5" CTC for 5 shots at 100 yards.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/khoaplpree...15100.jpg?dl=0
    That's one fine shooter, Jim! I had an old well used and beat-up 110E .308 that was really consistent (if I was, too) to the point of being absurd. It liked IMR 3031 and 168 gr Sierra MatchKings. (The Nosler 155 CC you're using is one fine bullet, too!) A friend literally took that old wood-stocked rifle from me and never returned it, just gave me money instead. Come to think of it, it wasn't much money either. :-)

Thanks for the recommendation to find out what Northland might have in a take-off barrel. I have to get into contact with them to get the barrel/action tools, too. I hope they're done cleaning up from the latest Bismarck Blizzard and are now vacationing in Hawaii. While they're gone they could leave the barrels outside for cryogenic treatment. Makes me wonder, too, if Shilen in Texas uses the local Dairy Queen to deep fry each barrel before it's shipped?

Basic Member
    I used to live pretty close to Shilen. Their barrels are excellent; I've had a few, and they performed great. They diamond-lap their barrels, so there is no need to do a break-in. Just clean it, fire one shot to let it know it's a rifle barrel, then fire for effect. I agree about the IMR 3031 and 168 Sierra's. I'm saving my 3031, since my son-in-law's rifle shoots it so great, I don't want to run out of his favorite powder!
    On Northland Shooters Supply website, look under "Clearance" for the take-off barrels. There are a couple of new take-off 22-250 barrels there. I would opt for the 9-twist if it was me. If you only shoot the light bullets, 12-twist is OK. Either one will get you out to 300 yards like a champ!

I'd keep a lookout for a fluted model 12 takeoff. I picked up a 22-250 for $100 and it made one hell of a shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast