Thread: New Guy with; 17hmr Split Case Necks and Miss Fires!!!

VarMitt17

New Guy with; 17hmr Split Case Necks and Miss Fires!!!

Bought the Stainless Steel Heavy Barreled Mod. 93R17 in 2008. Been very happy until now. I have run about 2000+ rounds though this gun and recently I have experienced miss fires and split cases (neck area). I'm very finicky about cleaning and maintaining my guns. My first thought was to thoroughly examined and cleaned the bolt, but I'm still having the same issue. The bolt and specifically the firing pin look to be in good shape with no signs of excessive wear. It's not the ammo. because I have tried 3 different flavors with the same results. Could the headspace have changed? If so how and what can be done about it. Your thoughts please.

Might have a carbon ring in the chamber/throat area causing pressure spikes. Use a bore mop and soak it good, and try a new brush or maybe a 20 cal brush in there to scrub it good.

VarMitt17
    I haven't heard of a carbon ring condition. If this condition exists in my rifle and causes an over pressure issue; it stands to reason that this could cause the split case issue, but not sure it would cause the other issue of miss fires. It's worth a try!! I let you know if it works and thank you for your input.

Basic Member
    not sure about the split cases. Heard that was from early lots of ammo when the caliber came out. As to the misfires, take bolt apart and clean out all carbon and crap. Plenty of vids on youtube showing you how to take out extractors and firing pin. Its pretty easy.

VarMitt17
    Looked on youtube for videos on disassembly of the 17hmr bolt; but could not find one. Found videos on other savage models, but not for the Mod. 93! I know how to remove the extractors and firing pin but not how to completely tear down the whole bolt.

Basic Member
    Tear down is the same as the MKII. It's probably the ammo, try some newer manufactured.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."