Thread: Redding Premium deluxe 3 die set for 260 Remington

Redding Premium deluxe 3 die set for 260 Remington

Hi again all,

So, I was looking at the Redding reloading dies today and was wondering if any of you 260 shooters use them? I will be upsizing 243 brass to 260 Rem and want to make sure I am using a tapered expanding button. Anybody know if these have a tapered expanding button?

Or can anyone recommend a die set for what I'm needing to do?

Thanks as always,

LongRange
    id suggest forster over redding...less expensive and better dies IMO...if you have the money buy widden dies they are fantastic dies and you can buy an expander ball kit to adjust neck tension.

Basic Member
    The Redding die set you mentioned has a round carbide floating expander. And the Forster die set below is cheaper and I think better.

I would buy the Forster full length benchrest dies with the high mounted floating expander. The neck of the case is held and centered in the neck of the die when the expander enters the case neck. This system greatly reduces neck runout and can even correct it. I bought the Forster expander and spindle assemblies for all my RCBS dies to reduce neck runout because they work so well.

Forster Bench Rest 2-Die Set 260 Remington
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/109...-260-remington

And with a off the shelf factory rifles with a SAAMI chamber if you reduce the neck diameter .004 or more you can induce neck runout. Bushing dies work best with tight neck chambers and neck turned brass. And my Forster FL dies with the expander only works the case neck .002 more than a bushing die does with "NO" added neck runout.

NOTE, and Forster will hone the neck of the die for you to your desired diameter "IF" needed.
    And at the Whidden custom die website they tell you they get the most concentric ammunition with non-bushing full length dies.

Thanks for the info and the link gents.... Forster it is then... Do you always do a FL resize or do you just neck size after the initial "resize" (EX: 243 win upsized to 260 rem).

And what about neck tension? does the Forster seating die have adjustable tension settings or is it just a "standard" tension?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the info and the link gents.... Forster it is then... Do you always do a FL resize or do you just neck size after the initial "resize" (EX: 243 win upsized to 260 rem).

And what about neck tension? does the Forster seating die have adjustable tension settings or is it just a "standard" tension?

Thanks,
    I have.tried it all and I prefer full length resizing

Consistency is the key. If you neck size then at least ever 5 firings you will have to full length resize anyway

For consistent neck tension I believe.annealing is more important than a bushing die with 2 thousands neck tension. What difference does it make.when each firing the.spring.back is a little different.

You can go down the worm hole or just get a quality full length sizing die.and.call it.good.

Basic Member
    The late Jim Hall of the Sierra Bullets Ballistic Test Laboratory said all ammunition tested at the Sierra test lab was all full length resized.

Jim Hall had a humorous saying about full length resizing.........

"The cartridge should fit the chamber like a rat turd in a violin case"

Bottom line, if you ever saw the case thickness variations that can cause a case to warp and the body of the case become egg shaped. You would understand why giving the case a little "wiggle room" to allow the bullet to be self aligning with the bore is a good idea.

LongRange
    FL size every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that.... the 2 die set from Forster should be the ticket then. I appreciate it guys!!

Basic Member
    I use those same Forster dies on my 260 and they work great...

Hi Guys!!!

Just wanted to say "thanks again" for recommending the Forster dies for my 260 rem build. I just upsized a 50 count of Hornady 243 brass to 260 Rem and I didn't lose a single case!! Made the job ridiculously easy...

Just ordered my 260 Rem Match barrel today too!!! Merry Xmas to me... Should have it in 10-16 weeks....

Happy New Year!