Thread: Savage stealth in .308

Basic Member

Savage stealth in .308

I have read the reviews posted here in the 6.5, 300 , and 338. Does anyone have any experience with the .308? I just picked this rifle up for a pretty good price. I have a lrp in 6.5 and a 110fcp in 338 so I wanted to get a .308. To be honest I have shot 20 rounds through it and was horrified by the accuracy. It was shooting all over the place. So I took it over to a gunsmith/ benchrest shooter friend of mine. First off we found bases was loose so we went through degreased and loctited everything. Accuracy improved, so we then torqued the action screws. It got even better. Two shots touching and then a flier. I did have trouble boresighting the rifle. I believe my nightforce has gone bad. I have a vortex viper in route to try and see indeed if it's the scope. If it's the scope I will send it back to nightforce and run the vortex till it gets back. Just like to here others experiences with the .308. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Basic Member
    Sucks savage QC let this go like that. No reason for it. Once you get it figured out, update us on a range report.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Try taking the can off the muzzle and see if that changes things. You never know. Unless you used this can on other rifles that shot great, in that case, never mind.

What ammo were you shooting ?

Basic Member
    I shoot that can on my Remington 700 300aac and it shoots awesome. I started off with 147fmj and 150gr hornady interlocks. It was shooting 8"-10" groups at 75yards. I know it wasn't great ammo but I would at least expect a 2" group. I think the combination of loose mount loose action screwsjust magnified the bad scope. I will definitely get a range report back asap. I hope I will have my scope on tommorow and we can shoot it off his lead sled and see where we are at. Going to try to shoot some gold medal match through it. If it shoots good then I will try to work up a load for it.

Notglock
    I pick my Stealth .308 up tomorrow so I will be sure to check both the base screws and action screws.

Hawaiian
    I don't have a Stealth in 308, but my 6.5 had three of the four scope rail screws so loose that I could turn the torx wrench between the tips of my thumb and fore finger. Spoke to Savage customer care and asked them what the action bolts should be torqued too and they said 40 inch pounds. The action bolt infront of the magwell was at 35 and the on that goes through the trigger guard was less than 20. Had me wondering if it went through QC before being shipped.

Now that being said, once everything was tightened up the dang rifle shoots very nice.

I picked mine up about three weeks ago. Rings didn't come in til last week. Now the weather isn't cooperating. Sure am looking forward to some range time.

Notglock
    I checked mine today and while neither were loose there were not consistently torqued. I took everything apart and torqued the base screws to 20 in-lbs and the action screws to 30 in-lbs.

Basic Member

Well got the vortex on it. After fixing the base, and action screws and changing the scope here is a five shot group at 100yards. I think it is going to do good after some load development.

greyghost
    I would be happy with that group especially if its factory ammo, I'm going to order mine after Christmas in 308, Will be sure to give it a go over and clean before shooting it, Havent heard anything terrible about this rifle so will give it a try, Asked a question on another site about how it was liked by anybody who owned one, Could not believe the Savage hate I received, Whats with the savage hate from some shooters anyway, I just don't get it I have a 10 FCP-SR in 308 and a mod 11 in 243 they both shoot as good or better than the picture you just posted, I was really surprised at their reaction, I mean they were vicious about it

Basic Member
    I use to be strictly Remington 700 man. I probably own 17 or so. After buying a savage lrp I have been impressed. It is so nice to be able to change your own barrel with out haveing to go to a gunsmith. Try that with a Remington. I have been nothing but impressed with savage( well except from the quality control on this rifle) but o have had worse issues with Remington.

greyghost
    Yea me to Ive shot Remingtons since I was a boy and that's been awhile, The last Remington I bought was in 1995 a 700 sender in 300 WM, I shot the crap out of that rifle and it could shoot, Bought my 1st savage center fire the 10FCP-SR and was really impressed, been buying Savage since, Good luck with yours Hope mine shoots that well, They say Savage is really cranking them out especially in 6.5, But they need to keep up with QC for sure, Have a good one and Merry Christmas