Thread: Stevens 200 Tupperware stock mods

Stevens 200 Tupperware stock mods

Hey all,

I've read some posts on here from members who have used carbon arrows and other methods to stiffen up the fore end on these stocks, but I can't seem to fine any photos of how this is accomplished.
    I have a ton of old arrows, but I can't seem to visualize how these are used. Can anyone share any additional details?
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I know I am not answering your question, but I believe it's a fool's errand. The stock cannot be stiffened sufficiently to make the effort worthwhile. Yes, you can add arrow shafts to stiffen the forearm, but it doesn't help solve the problem. The primary problem is the stock flexes near the recoil lug and none of the "fixes" of the past have addressed that.

Save your effort and invest in a Boyd's laminate stock (least expensive and effective option) or a higher end stock such as Bell and Carlson, Choate, etc. On the bright side, unless you are attempting to build a target rifle or a tactical rifle you plan to shoot off of a bi-pod, it isn't all that necessary. The factory stock free-floats the barrel if you shoot off of sandbags placed under the action (as opposed to the front of the forearms). IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Awesome, that's what I was looking for. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I know I am not answering your question, but I believe it's a fool's errand. The stock cannot be stiffened sufficiently to make the effort worthwhile. Yes, you can add arrow shafts to stiffen the forearm, but it doesn't help solve the problem. The primary problem is the stock flexes near the recoil lug and none of the "fixes" of the past have addressed that.

Save your effort and invest in a Boyd's laminate stock (least expensive and effective option) or a higher end stock such as Bell and Carlson, Choate, etc. On the bright side, unless you are attempting to build a target rifle or a tactical rifle you plan to shoot off of a bi-pod, it isn't all that necessary. The factory stock free-floats the barrel if you shoot off of sandbags placed under the action (as opposed to the front of the forearms). IMHO
    It's certainly good advice and I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I'm sure you are likely right, because the intent is to add a bipod soon.
    I'm trying to skimp, but I suppose the low cost of Boyd's stocks could be thrown in considering all other costs that are going into it. I will just need to confirm the action type to the matching Boyd stock and wait for santa to bring me some cash!
    Thank you for the insight.

Basic Member
    Take a look at FAQ's section here, particularly "Savage Action Length" to get a good idea of determining what you have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreylies View Post
    It's certainly good advice and I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I'm sure you are likely right, because the intent is to add a bipod soon.
    I'm trying to skimp, but I suppose the low cost of Boyd's stocks could be thrown in considering all other costs that are going into it. I will just need to confirm the action type to the matching Boyd stock and wait for santa to bring me some cash!
    Thank you for the insight.

As a member, you can look on classifieds and find a compatible stock in laminate for less than Boyd's. Stevens and Savage stocks are identical with the right model numbers...

And, Foxx is right.

Basic Member
    I have more time than money so if you have the will you can stiffen the hell out of a factory stock. I used two 3/16" rods and cut a recess into the stock and ran them all the way from behind the sling swivel to below where the recoil lug sits, then I cut a 1.5" piece of aluminum in half then profiled it to fit the action, hogged out the stock around the pillars so the aluminum pan was locked into the pillars, bedded it to the stock. finally I bedded the action to the pan and it's very solid, oh and I clearanced the top for the barrel to stay free floated. that is now my dedicated hunting stock. it did add some weight though
    Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 12-09-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: oops got the money/time backwards

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    I have more money than time so if you have the will you can stiffen the hell out of a factory stock. I used two 3/16" rods and cut a recess into the stock and ran them all the way from behind the sling swivel to below where the recoil lug sits, then I cut a 1.5" piece of aluminum in half then profiled it to fit the action, hogged out the stock around the pillars so the aluminum pan sat was locked into the pillars, bedded it to the stock. finally I bedded the action to the pan and it's very solid, oh and I clearanced the top for the barrel to stay free floated. that is now my dedicated hunting stock. it did add some weight though
    I've heard of this before, there is a pretty detailed DIY about doing a savage axis somewhere on the web...