Thread: Confused figuring my Model 11

Basic Member

Confused figuring my Model 11

New guy here. Been reading a few months before I finally bought this used while helping my father pistol shop. I looked through all the FAQs and other sites for info. Just want to make sure what I have for future parts purposes. This was primarily a donor action purchase and I'm looking to do a barrel swap to something in 6.5 and a higher quality stock. It seems that an accu-trigger is mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme for stock replacement purposes. Right?

SN: G650xxx
    Model 11 in .308win
    Synthetic stock
    Detachable Box Mag
    4.40"action screws
    Non-accu Trigger
    Top Bolt Release

Basic Member
    You have a short action, center feed, detachable magazine, top bolt release, round back, non accutrigger with standard (.308) bolt head.

THe only other thing you need to know is what kind of magazine do you have? Is there a metal frame in the stock with a spring loaded "snap" that retains the magazine in place? or is there a plastic bottom with a plastic tab atached to the bottom of the mag that snaps into the stock? Those with plastic bottom piece and flexible tab is referred to as an "Axis Style" mag... Other than that. there is nothing elses to know. Worrying about what model number or title it was given at one time is totally irrelevent and non informative.

Basic Member
    Got it. I thought I figured it out but seemed like I was missing something. It has metal mag hardware with the spring loaded release not the cheap plastic tab style.

I just wanted to be sure for scope mounts and stock purposes. I hate buying something having missed a minor detail and it being a waste of money in the end.

Basic Member
    You have the best set-up/configure possible. ANd you are way ahead of the game already finding parts and accessories because you understand all of above.

Basic Member
    I bought a similar gun used a few months ago in .243... It is now a 28" barrel in 6.5x47 lapua in a hs-prescion stock, rifle basix trigger, accurate mag bottom metal running 5 rd magazines, with 20 moa base.

Basic Member
    I'm leaning towards a 6.5 Super LR barrel. Though a creedmor, .260Rem or x47L would be easier to accomplish.

I got it for $270, seemed like a good deal. I've been looking a few months and DBMs were not common used firearms around me in PA. Seemed no one was selling their guns preelection.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    If you are primarily planNing on building a long range rig remember that a magazine will keep you from running the long bullets out on a short action if chambered in 260 or 6.5 lr. They really need a long action so the bullets aren't taking up case capacity.

This is a part of the reason the 47 lapua and creeds are so popular.

Basic Member
    http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php

I'm just looking to screw around with LR shooting. I have to travel 2 hrs for a range to shoot past 200/300. I want a decent rifle with a good stock and can shoot better than me. I'm not going to drop $4000 on this project. I will primarily use it for hunting actually. So I'm going with a lighter stock and a conservative barrel profile.

It seems by reading the SLR design info mag length still allows for decent use of 140gr bullets. I already load two other 6.5s at home so I have bullet cross compatibility. 6.5 grendel, 6.5brx both AR uppers, now I want a 6.5 bolt to compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    If you are primarily planNing on building a long range rig remember that a magazine will keep you from running the long bullets out on a short action if chambered in 260 or 6.5 lr. They really need a long action so the bullets aren't taking up case capacity.

This is a part of the reason the 47 lapua and creeds are so popular.
    Factory SA Savage mags are capable of nearly 3.00"coal. That's plenty enough for a 260rem or 6.5slr

Basic Member
    ^^^ My Axis mag measures 3.00" so should be able to load out that long if needed. A big +. In my 308, the 155gr Nosler CC touches the lands at 2.898" and Hornady 178 gr BTHP at 2.970". Thrilled as heck!

Basic Member
    Go for the 6.5 slr they are supposed to be great shooters.. Mcgowen can do a pret fit and I think a couple others. I did a 6.5x47 for something that is not a 6.5 creed they are everywhere latley.. The 260 is a good round and you can get Lapua brass at a good price compared to others calibers.. Check out panhanle precision on youtube... He shoots a 260 and it is awesome in his hands..

Basic Member
    I think I will order a barrel from raggedholes.net. They currently don't ream that chamber but said they weren't opposed to getting the reamer to do one for me. They are affordable @$240 shipped for what will primarily be a hunting gun. I am likely to go with their heavier Sporter barrel. If the light varmint profile is isn't too heavy I might go that route instead.

I'm attracted to the plentiful brass options with .243 win or .260 rem brass. I can get setup for neck turning and do .308 win brass as well as Lapua brass down the road. Non-custom dies are available from Whidden for me to reload. I keep looking at the 6.5x47L but then I have single source brass. I already have that issue with my 6.5brx wild cat in my AR. It's annoying to have to order brass online when I want more instead of being able to go to one of the 3 nearby stores that carry .243 brass.

PAdeerSLAYER
    I just got a used model 11 compact in .243 and have about the same plans. By the time I'm done with it, it will probably just be the savage action left. I thought about bumping up to a .260 for the flat trajectory and added energy down range. But converting the rifle to .308 is on my mind for added barrel life. Have you found any decent stocks?

Basic Member
    I got GRS Berserk on order. Seemed like a great deal and stock for the price with all the features. I ordered through Eurooptic. Its a back order but they are becoming their new US distributor.

Banned
    I will disagree on the trigger. I good one is what you want but if you are asking if its a stock choice issue, no.

You might be able to get a Varmint acu trigger from Savage, not sure, parts yes but have not tried to order one out of the SN that did not match the OEM.

If you can tune the trigger that's good.

If not an aftermarket one will make it a much better shooter. Anything under 3/4 MOA (my opinion) makes the average shooter a much better one.

Top bolt release is a real plus as that is by far the better setup.