Thread: Why does Savage think it's OK for me to dry fire my new Savage 64F

marvin347

Why does Savage think it's OK for me to dry fire my new Savage 64F

I bought a Savage 64F a week ago. In the manual I am required to dry fire to dismantle the gun. Would also like to practice dry fire and will be getting snap caps regardless. I called Savage and asked if this gun was OK to dry fire. They said that yes it was if it is newer. If it was about 5 years old or older than the answer would be no.

I DO NOT want to hear about "Better safe than sorry" or "Just don't dry fire" or "Just get some snap caps" or "In General rimfire guns...." or "This topic has been covered..." or "In the Mark II...."

This is me, trying to get as much information about Specifically the Savage 64F gun that I just purchased.

My question is, what has changed in the design of the Savage 64F in the last 5 years that would cause the Savage company to tell me that my gun is dry fire safe? I would like to get to know specifically the new Savage 64F gun better and what is happening inside when I dry fire it.

Did you not ask Savage this when you were on the phone with them? I would think they would probably have the best answer for this kind of question.

Arkie
    Don't know jack squat about a Savage 64F. NORMALLY when a rimfire firing pin is long enough to reach the chamber face and "peen" a dent into the face it is considered unsafe to dry fire. If the firing pin is built so it's unable to touch the rim area of the chamber it is considered safe to dry fire.

Bob

Basic Member
    Just that^
    They improved the firing pin so it doesn't strike the rim portion of the chamber.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

marvin347
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Did you not ask Savage this when you were on the phone with them? I would think they would probably have the best answer for this kind of question.
    I did ask. It took 3 days and a call back to get the answer to the first question of if it was safe to dry fire. When I followed up with "why" they didn't have a response and was transferred to a voice mailbox and no call back. Trying desperately to find the answer any means possible.

marvin347
    Thanks Arkie, but I am aware of this. Wondering specifically my model.

marvin347
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Just that^
    They improved the firing pin so it doesn't strike the rim portion of the chamber.
    Source?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin347 View Post
    Source?
    Sharpshooter is the source. Hang around here long enough you'll know what I mean lol

Basic Member
    Are you in some sort of predicament involving litigation the requires a notarized document of certification, clarification and explanation?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Just get some little yellow plastic drywall anchors and keep one in the chamber. Cheaper than a snapcap and tough enough to protect your breech face without breaking. First thing I take out of my .22 LR rifles at the range and last thing to put back when leaving. Also serves as an easy visual on the chamber being unloaded when I drive down the road. Just a thought.

marvin347
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Are you in some sort of predicament involving litigation the requires a notarized document of certification, clarification and explanation?
    Just don't want to be that guy that breaks his gun because some guy on a forum said that's how it's designed. Was wondering if you knew this information or were just guessing. If you say it's truth I'll trust you because of your reputation on here and quote you when the one time I dry fire after losing count of the rounds in my mag and my friend makes fun of me for dry firing my rimfire. I'll simply look him straight in the face and say "I know my gun man. This firing pin is designed to be dry fired so it's fine." I have drywall anchors already as snap caps but I know it's going to be dry fired by friends every 11th shot of my 10 round mag.

Basic Member
    Fred is THE Savage Guru. He won't steer you wrong.