Thread: Powder Dispenser Adjustments

Basic Member

Powder Dispenser Adjustments

Planning to upgrade from the Lee loader to either a Lyman #55, RCBS, or maybe Redding #3. All can be rigged into my press. Since I load for three rifle calibers and one pistol, need a dispenser that does both, but the Redding is out of my budget.

Guess that really puts it to the Lyman & RCBS. Which is easiest to switch from pistol 1-9 gr back to rifle weights? The Lyman comes with the threaded base for the press.

I've been using the Lyman #55 since I started reloading and have been pretty happy with it. Use it for everything I do ranging from light .38 Spl to .375 Winchester. Larger stick powders will get cut and/or clog up now and then when throwing a charge, but you'll get that with any powder measure.

Never used the RCBS so I can't comment on theirs.

Basic Member
    Take a look at the Lee Classic measure. (Midsouth...'bout $70)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90868.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	2369
    Its threaded 7/8-14 so it will screw right in your press, doesn't chomp powders and its a snap to empty without dismounting. I've been using one for over a year now. In fact I made a guy a killer deal on two RCBS Uniflows(one NIB) and a Johnson's Quick-Measure w/accessories and an older B&M.

http://leeprecision.com/classic-powder-measure.html

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

The Lee perfect powder measure works great. Use one a lot.

But.I still like the smoothness of my Harrell better and it is so pretty.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Take a look at the Lee Classic measure. (Midsouth...'bout $70)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90868.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	2369
    Its threaded 7/8-14 so it will screw right in your press, doesn't chomp powders and its a snap to empty without dismounting. I've been using one for over a year now. In fact I made a guy a killer deal on two RCBS Uniflows(one NIB) and a Johnson's Quick-Measure w/accessories and an older B&M.

http://leeprecision.com/classic-powder-measure.html

Bill
    I use a B&M. Is the Lee much faster?

Basic Member
    The one thing that will make my decision between the Lee and the Lyman: ease of adjustments from pistol to rifle reloads, without changing throw chambers. Both these are similar in price and threaded for my vise.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgarus View Post
    I use a B&M. Is the Lee much faster?
    Both the Lee Classic and Perfect measures are for all practical purposes a mix of a B&M and Johnson's Quick-Measure and measures with a rotating charge chamber. In other words as the handle is rotated the tube (Metering Chamber) is filled and or dumped without having to insert and remove a tube or transfer the charge to a pan to weigh. It basically eliminates one or two steps charging a case.

In my process I eliminate another. Using the Classic I dump a charge from it into a Lyman funnel pan, put the pan on the scale, trickle if need be then dump the charge into the case. I don't need to transfer the charge from a tube into a separate pan and or move a funnel case to case.

By the same token if you're one that loads by volume any variations in charges by weight are about the same as the B&M with the exception the Lee's don't cut-crunch extruded powers.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Plan to load volume #'s after refining loads from the bench top dispenser. No trickling for a "perfect" weight is required. Need a dispenser to mount into the press. Because the press is set up for three calibers, need a dispenser that can be Easily switched between pistol and rifle loads...without changing a metering chamber. Is there a dispenser that doesn't require change out? That's why I asked about the Lyman and after reading, the Lee. Both priced less than $100.

Weighing every 10th charge for safety's sake. No need for two dispensers. Not looking to spend over $100 for an adequate dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Appleseed View Post
    A) Plan to load volume #'s after refining loads from the bench top dispenser. No trickling for a "perfect" weight is required.

B) Weighing every 10th charge for safety's sake.

I'm confused now A and B contradict each other... Volume is about a space occupied by a thing, weight is about a density; they are two very different things.
    Extruded powder has its burning rate controlled by geometry, so a consistent volume keeps a stable burning rate; the weight of it is irrelevant to that cause.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I have a RCBS Rockchucker single stage press I bought in 1973 and my powder measures are boxed up and I'm using the RCBS Chargemaster.

Sorry I never had a need for a progressive press or powder dispensers that like to cut long grain single base powders. And the Chargemaster doesn't care what shape the powder is.

If it works for you, and you are happy; that's fantastic!
    But having extruded powders cut, don't fundamentally change the burning rate, so cut away and no calamity will ensue.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Volume #'s means I'm loading 50-100 pieces at a time, not powder volume. Bet the teacher made you sit in front row darkker.