Thread: Barrel nut or not

Barrel nut or not

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to not using a barrel nut on a new long range build?
    Thanks

82boy

Re: Barrel nut or not

Well as far as accuracy goes there is no advantage.

The disadvantages of going nut-less, is barrels would need to be head spaced and installed by a gunsmith, where a nutted barrel just buy one from your favorite supplier and screw it on. If you go to sell the barrel the nut-less barrel would be far harder to sell do to it needing to be re-head-spaced to the new action. Where a nutted barrel just sell it.

The only advantage I can see about going nut-less is you can get a thicker barrel, and a streamline look. You can also have a good gun smith step a thick barrel use a large shank barrel nut and have the step for a small shank action. With that they cut the shoulder off of the nut to fit the larger barrel. Using this method you can get a fairly thick barrel on a gun.

Team Savage

IMHO, if you go without the nut, you've lost the advantage of the Savage action. That's where the gunsmith comes in and the "do it yourself" just went out the window.
    Want to change calibers without the nut? Call your favorite gunsmith and hope he has time to fit you in. ( Or have the equipment to do the work)
    Want to change calibers with the nut? A barrel, the correct bolt head and 15 minutes and you're in business. Don't like that claiber? Another 15 minutes, a different bolt head (if needed) and barrel and you're ready to go again. Want to go without the nut? Get a Remington!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

sinman

you can still have a nutted barrel thats streamline and bull diameter. Ill have a pic by the end of the week

NRV

If you are building a true switch barrel rifle, having a shoulder in the barrel (no nut) may be preferred.

However, as mentioned before, the barrel will have to be chambered by a gunsmith.

Here's one that Sinman did for me.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001329.jpg[/img]

It's a #7 Contour Fluted 32" McGowan chambered in 338 Edge.

[img width=600 height=356]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg[/img]
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar