Thread: Upgrading savage model 110 30-06 pre accutrigger

Dakotabaker98

Upgrading savage model 110 30-06 pre accutrigger

So i have a savage 110 pre accutrigger in 30-06 that i love. Shoots MOA easy. IF i do my part i have had multiple .5 moa groups with good ammo, But i want something different and more unique i guess. I was looking at doing the E.R shaw 24inch varmint contour stainless barrel, with the Choate Ultimate sniper stock with a timney trigger. I will provide links to the barrel and the stock, im just wondering 1. If it will all work with my rifle, and 2. if anyone has had experience with ER Shaw barrels! Thanks in advance for all the help!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/217...tic-olive-drab

http://www.eabco.net/E-R-Shaw-Savage...s_p_14134.html

Banned
    If your shooting .5" groups with the stock barrel, you are A: incredibly, disgustingly LUCKY! As that is good grouping for ANY rifle, including custom builds! And B: You will be sorely disappointed as ER Shaw barrels are the cheapest, least accurate barrels made. Don't get me wrong, they work just fine. And are typically still better than stock. But once again, your rifle, already shooting half inch groups, is up there with many, many custom built rifles. Now, if you had posted and said "my older Savage 30-06 shoots decent, but i would like it to be a little better. AND I ONLY WANT TO SPEND THIS MUCH! Would it be possible to shoot 1" groups WITH MY RELOADS?" I would have said yes, that *COULD* be possible.

+1!
    If it's shooting that well I wouldn't touch it.
    I have several out of the box rifles that shoot so well I wont do anything to them except tuning up the factory trigger and maybe camo the stock even though I'm well versed in Savage tinkering.
    Take the money you would spend on a barrel and find a pawn shop beater for a project.
    Of course with a little load development many pawn shop beaters are surprising.
    Same goes for the trigger. Most 3 screw pre accutriggers can be tuned up to be surprisingly good. There are instructions here somewhere to do just that.
    The Choate ultimate varminters and ultimate sniper stocks are heavy as all get out and have solid steel spacers in the butt. The tactical is a little better at 3 1/2# and uses plastic spacers but still much heavier than a standard sporter. If you plan on using the rifle for anything other than a bench toy these stocks may not be as practical as you might think. Good luck and do as you wish but my .02 would be to leave it alone shoot tiny groups and grin at the $$$ guys with the fancy stocks and barrels. Thats a sport in itself that I enjoy a lot.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Dakotabaker98
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    +1!
    If it's shooting that well I wouldn't touch it.
    I have several out of the box rifles that shoot so well I wont do anything to them except tuning up the factory trigger and maybe camo the stock even though I'm well versed in Savage tinkering.
    Take the money you would spend on a barrel and find a pawn shop beater for a project.
    Of course with a little load development many pawn shop beaters are surprising.
    Same goes for the trigger. Most 3 screw pre accutriggers can be tuned up to be surprisingly good. There are instructions here somewhere to do just that.
    The Choate ultimate varminters and ultimate sniper stocks are heavy as all get out and have solid steel spacers in the butt. The tactical is a little better at 3 1/2# and uses plastic spacers but still much heavier than a standard sporter. If you plan on using the rifle for anything other than a bench toy these stocks may not be as practical as you might think. Good luck and do as you wish but my .02 would be to leave it alone shoot tiny groups and grin at the $$$ guys with the fancy stocks and barrels. Thats a sport in itself that I enjoy a lot.
    i was shocked when the gun shot .5 groups. Ill get some pictures up if i can figure out how to do it of a few of my sub moa groups! thanks for the input. ill keep my mind open and try to figure out what i want to do haha!

Dakotabaker98
    The picture with the one flyer was a sight in process after reinstalling my action in the stock. shot once then adjusted and shot the 3 shot group. Both groups were off a bipod at 100 yards shooting Hornady American whitetail 150gr. I have now switched to the superformance 150 gr SST and had very similar results. The last picture is a picture of how my rifle is now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...UYtX3VJMWlHSnc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...3otWjBNU3BaRDg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...XZpb3BUcWZIS2s

Want a project? This project will upgrade all of your centerfire rifles on the cheap. $99 shipped to your door if you use code " LAK " at checkout. It's a smokin deal right now.
    http://www.brownells.com/reloading/r...ampaign=Itwine

In addition to the kit just get a manual (modern reloading by Richard Lee 2nd edition will tell you everything you need to know to start)a set of dies (Lee deluxe die set) a case length gauge the same caliber as your dies (Like $5) and consumables(powder primers bullets) and you have everything you need to make the biggest accuracy improvement you can make to any rifle that doesn't have something wrong with it. For the same price as a few of boxes of superformance you can be loading premium stuff and tuning it to your rifle.
    Just another suggestion for a better way to spend a few bucks on your rifle.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Dakotabaker98
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    If your shooting .5" groups with the stock barrel, you are A: incredibly, disgustingly LUCKY! As that is good grouping for ANY rifle, including custom builds! And B: You will be sorely disappointed as ER Shaw barrels are the cheapest, least accurate barrels made. Don't get me wrong, they work just fine. And are typically still better than stock. But once again, your rifle, already shooting half inch groups, is up there with many, many custom built rifles. Now, if you had posted and said "my older Savage 30-06 shoots decent, but i would like it to be a little better. AND I ONLY WANT TO SPEND THIS MUCH! Would it be possible to shoot 1" groups WITH MY RELOADS?" I would have said yes, that *COULD* be possible.
    Do you have any recommendations for a accurate after market heavy barrel that will fit the older flat top action 110 in 30-06?

Basic Member
    -1 on the opinion of Dave Hoback. ER Shaw barrels are not cheap junk. I have had them make barrels for Me and I have bought pre made, drop in barrels, and all exceeded expectations. But please don't let Me deter You from paying large amounts of money for a top end barrel, and taking it to a top end smith to have a custom chamber and lead.

Also, other suppliers and advertisers are well documented on this site. Just takes a little searching to find enough feedback to last a weekend of reading.

Good Luck...:-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    -1 on the opinion of Dave Hoback. ER Shaw barrels are not cheap junk. I have had them make barrels for Me and I have bought pre made, drop in barrels, and all exceeded expectations. But please don't let Me deter You from paying large amounts of money for a top end barrel, and taking it to a top end smith to have a custom chamber and lead.

Also, other suppliers and advertisers are well documented on this site. Just takes a little searching to find enough feedback to last a weekend of reading.

Good Luck...:-)

You don't read so well do ya chief? Please point out where I said they are "cheap junk"?? I intact said they work just fine, and are typically and improvement to a stock barrel. The fact remains that they are indeed the LEAST EXPENSIVE(I.e., CHEAPEST!!) barrels sold. A Douglas, Shilen, McGowen, Lilja, Krieger, Pac-Nor, Criterion, Bartlein or Brux barrel will ALWAYS outdo an ER Shaw. I'm glad you have had good results with ER Shaw. Like I said, they will typically do as good/slightly better than stock. His rifle already shoots extremely well WITH a stock barrel. An Shaw/Eabco barrel will not do any better than what he is already printing.

TurboSportTSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotabaker98 View Post
    Do you have any recommendations for a accurate after market heavy barrel that will fit the older flat top action 110 in 30-06?
    I've had good luck with a McGowen prefit in varmint contour. It's not super cheap at around 300 bucks (gunshack.com), but it had no lead time and a good reputation.

Banned
    I am sorry to break the news to you, according to some others, any time we talk about our groups we are lying or they are faked.

Keep up the good work and reports