Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are all these 1/2MOA Savages coming from?

Well why don't we try something like this.

The photo below shows 5 five shot groups from an AR I used to have. Never could get it to shoot better than this so I gave it to my brother in law. Some of it is me. Hard to shoot 25 shots with full concentration.

How about if you have a 1/2" gun then you show us a target with 5 five shot groups that average 1/2"

I have a couple that I will give it a try. Could be fun.

100 yrds groups whatever rest you want but please no lead sleds. Only you will know if you cheated.

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    I have a model 11 that I'm going to rebarrel in 6.5CM sometime soon. I hope I can post pictures of some half inch groups with it, but I'm not a re-loader............yet.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Well why don't we try something like this.

The photo below shows 5 five shot groups from an AR I used to have. Never could get it to shoot better than this so I gave it to my brother in law. Some of it is me. Hard to shoot 25 shots with full concentration.

How about if you have a 1/2" gun then you show us a target with 5 five shot groups that average 1/2"

I have a couple that I will give it a try. Could be fun.

100 yrds groups whatever rest you want but please no lead sleds. Only you will know if you cheated.
    Few problems with that idea.
    1. 5 pages of people calling people liars and cheaters already so any photo posted showing the .5. Will be accused of cheating weather by shorter range, non factory rifle or whatever else

2 it's winter cold in a big part of the USA so it's will be hard to fiND many people willing to brave the cold while knowing they are only entering into a flame war.

3 although I rarely use a sled for anything, considering the argument here is that a Factory Savage rifle won't shoot half Moa not bad a given shooter cant do it using a sled actually makes more sense than not using one since it would eliminate most shooter error and show more of the rifles capability.

I have a bunch of photos from load testing that I would gladly post when I get home they won't amount anything for most of the naysayers though since they are only 3 shot groups and only show a single Target eat like I said they are from load development and part of my load development is taking a photo of each Target and running it through a program that measures the groups I believe it is called ontarget. The important part is the fact that I can post tons of these targets the average a half inch using many different powder charges and seating depth. That is all I have at the moment and like I mentioned before it is winter and between 12-hour nights at work and hunting season I don't have the time to go put in the effort just to be called a liar or cheater anyway.

I'll try to find time tomorrow to upload Targets from my last couple load development trips to the range to a photo gallery website to link.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting with that AR, Factory loads or handloads? It looks to me like that AR is more than capable of being called a 1/2" Rifle, remember the Original post was asking about 1/2" rifles not about how many of you can consistently shoot 1/2" or under. Lets see how many can shoot their 1/2" grouping heavy barreled long range rifle or any custom rifle off hand or standing no rest at 100 yards after all if it will shoot 1/2" it will do it every time no matter what the rest. So what is it how well the rifle shoots or how well the shooter can shoot?
    The 5 spot targets with 5 on each sounds fun, but you need to be more specific then just no Lead Sleds, you need to come up with acceptable gear and list it.
    I will pass until things thaw back out and the snow is gone in April or May. I like to be comfortable and be able to feel my fingers as well as see the target threw the swirling snow.

Basic Member
    Wide Glide you are much better with words than I am.

Basic Member
    If anyone wants to send me their Savage that won't consistently shoot 1 inch groups, I will be happy to play with it and make it shoot .75. Depending on what it needs, I will not charge a dime for it.

If I can make it shoot .5 inch consistently you gotta pay me $300 or let me keep it for myself.

If I find out the barrel was damaged or somehow sabatoged, I will hunt you down with it!

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    If anyone wants to send me their Savage that won't consistently shoot 1 inch groups, I will be happy to play with it and make it shoot .75. Depending on what it needs, I will not charge a dime for it.

If I can make it shoot .5 inch consistently you gotta pay me $300 or let me keep it for myself.

If I find out the barrel was damaged or somehow sabatoged, I will hunt you down with it!
    If I had one that wouldn't shoot 1" I would absolutely take you up on that offer. Wanna take a shot at a Ruger American Compact? Just kidding. I'm actually pretty stoked to work on that one with my son. Will be his first time helping with bed job and he wants to do it so I'm pretty happy to have a kid that is willing to put a little time into a project.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by bowfishn View Post
    Nice shooting with that AR, Factory loads or handloads? It looks to me like that AR is more than capable of being called a 1/2" Rifle, remember the Original post was asking about 1/2" rifles not about how many of you can consistently shoot 1/2" or under. Lets see how many can shoot their 1/2" grouping heavy barreled long range rifle or any custom rifle off hand or standing no rest at 100 yards after all if it will shoot 1/2" it will do it every time no matter what the rest. So what is it how well the rifle shoots or how well the shooter can shoot?
    The 5 spot targets with 5 on each sounds fun, but you need to be more specific then just no Lead Sleds, you need to come up with acceptable gear and list it.
    I will pass until things thaw back out and the snow is gone in April or May. I like to be comfortable and be able to feel my fingers as well as see the target threw the swirling snow.
    Oh they are handloads and lots of load development to get there. Home made rifle. I enjoy building them as much as shooting them and enjoy the load development just as much. I would say it is an honest 3/4" rifle.

Have one now that I believe will easily get into the half inch club. I will see if I can't shoot a 5 five shot target when all this holiday stuff is over. It is 80 degrees down here in Melborne florida

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    ^^^^honestly, I think it would be a lot of fun!!! (my offer above)

Heck, NO, I would not do that with a Ruger, or anything else. I like Savage and have absolute confidence in them. I really think they are all "diamonds in the rough".

That is another AR

Working on load development for the 6BR savage below. Don't expect it to have too much trouble with the half inch club either. A work in progress. Don't have more recent pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Do you have a picture of the AR you shot that last target you posted? That group is a thing of beauty, I had know Idea an AR platform would hold groups like that. What scope are you using?
    My loads for my Rifles have always centered around power with reasonable accuracy. The Sako Finnbear 30-06 can do 1/2" with the load I have for it now but it kicks you like a 300 Win Mag. Lapua Brass fire formed necksized, CCI BR2 Primers, 60.5 grains of H-205 Powder behind a Nosler 165 gr. Accubond or Balistic Tip depending on what I will hunt with it. It Chronos at 3100 fps + or - depending on temp.

Basic Member
    My 6.5 build I will probably work more on load development to see what I can get it too.

Basic Member
    I will also fit the stock to me, always have had to deal with the standard LOP way too short as well as a cheek rest being to low. I will not worry about how low the power of the scope goes down because I will not use it in the woods. This one will be for fun and long range shooting if I want.

Do you have a picture of the AR you shot that last target you posted? That group is a thing of beauty, I had know Idea an AR platform would hold groups like that. What scope are you using?
    My loads for my Rifles have always centered around power with reasonable accuracy. The Sako Finnbear 30-06 can do 1/2" with the load I have for it now but it kicks you like a 300 Win Mag. Lapua Brass fire formed necksized, CCI BR2 Primers, 60.5 grains of H-205 Powder behind a Nosler 165 gr. Accubond or Balistic Tip depending on what I will hunt with it. It Chronos at 3100 fps + or - depending on temp.
    Lost my pics in my phone crash. I am on the road right now but when I get home I will take one.

It is basically a 6.5 grendel case necked down to 6mm. Pushing 105 berger's 2850. 28.6 gr of.H4895, lapua brass.and br4

26" Kraiger barrel PRS stock and Geissele national match trigger is the important stuff

And believe me that group was no fluke. It is very consistent in the 2's and 3's

Oh the scope leupold vx-6 7-42X56. Aim small miss small

Banned

Ar's are extremely accurate! As is 223. I've built dozens of them. Haven't seen one of my builds really shoot much over 1 MOA. The difference with them is when you go to AR15 forums, everyone comes out talking about thier AR shooting .25 MOA!! Just look up Mark Larue and his cronies to see his claims on EVERY ONE of his rifles or barrels. Funny stuff.

Basic Member
    I will be waiting on the pic, not the standard AR by the sounds of it. I guess I have always been ignorant to what can be done on an AR platform. Nice scope choice. I always say you can't hit what you can't see. Sounds like the recoil is non existent as well. Set up sounds more forgiving than a standard factory set up for sure.

Banned
    I had what was supposed to be an acute AR, Wilson barrel, ok, more 1.5" groups, good scope, good loads, not all that impressed.

sold it and got the 12FV and then the BTH111 and started down the fun but addicting trail of building your own.

Basic Member
    Dave my buddy has a couple AR rifles one is a .223 and the other is a Rock River .308 it shoots ok but I've never seen anything spectacular out of it, you guys have me thinking maybe he should work on his loads a bit. I have never seen him shoot a better group than just over an inch at 100 with three shots. The only other ARs I have been around have been when I would go to the range with a Bunch of the Cadets from Norwich University. They loved their ARs but none of them were set up for shooting groups, they were all about shooting in close quarter combat. I appreciate you guys pointing out the potential of the AR.

Mountain Man
    6.5 Grendel, 'nuff said.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I am not a big fan of the AR's, i have a S&W 15T shoots ok, nothing to talk about, BUT i did shoot a Rock River 223 at a range this past year and with reloads it shot under 3/8" 3 shot groups at 100yds, and he has done it numerous times, it had a heavy SS barrel maybe 20" long and cost 600 more than my gun. so i guess they can be accurate. i think he said Rock river guarantee 3/4moa, his gun done better.

Chet

Basic Member
    I built a 260 Remington off of a Savage 12FV..
    CBI 260 Match
    SSS LVT stock
    SAV-2 trigger
    NF BR 12-42 optic
    142 SMK over H4350

I shoot F-Open with it and have had some great scores this year as long as the conditions are favorable. Reading the wind is going to be a huge learning curve.. Great rifle though.. Definately a 1/2 minute Savage!!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^I agree, except sporter barrels can be just as accurate and reliable as a heavy barrel. There is no reason it shouldn't be and my own experience proves it. It's simply a matter of finding the right load and bullet combination, assuming all of your shots are from a cold bore. Heck, I have a Savage 25-06 factory sporter that I have put as many as 25 shots at 100 yards inside a group you can cover with a quarter. That may not be .5MOA, but it's dang good, and not all that difficult.
    A thin barrel is going to vibrate faster than a thick barrel. This means the SWITCH in barrel direction will be more transient and harder to nail exactly resulting in a harder to tune barrel. Just physics really.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1953greg View Post
    a half inch rifle will be a two inch rifle w/o the correct load/bullet, esp sporter barrels. even heavy barrels prefer some bullets. i find that the bullet makes as much difference as everything else combined. you simply cannot make a barrel like a load/bullet if it doesnt want to.
    I had a heavy barrel solid bottom 204 savage in a Choate stock that would shoot 5 into .3 pretty easily with 32 gr Bergers. It shot 50 gr Bergers into about 3 ft at 100yds.

Basic Member
    I have an AR I assembled in 6.5 Grendel that is consistent 3/4" all day with factory ammo. It has produced more than a few sub 1/2 MOA groups with me shooting it off a bipod and rear bag. I have never hand loaded but I assume it could get better with a better shooter/ better ammo. That's what lead me to order a new barrel for my savage. My basement built AR was more accurate, and more consistent than my Model 11 in an LSS chassis chambered in .308. I've tried about 20 different factory loads with the savage and it's a 1 MOA rifle with me shooting it. I'll give you an example of some groups with my Grendel AR. First one is first 3 rounds ever out of the barrel for sight in (way off target) but consistent.
    This is one of my better groups, but I've done this multiple times. Don't have a lead sled so this is all off bipod.
    And this is an honest representation of this rifle with factory PPU or Hornady ammo. I can do this all day with this rifle. Maybe not quite half MOA, but I'm happy with my budget 6.5 build.
    And my savage continues to be a 1 inch gun, if I'm shooting well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddcdozer View Post
    A thin barrel is going to vibrate faster than a thick barrel. This means the SWITCH in barrel direction will be more transient and harder to nail exactly resulting in a harder to tune barrel. Just physics really.
    I don't disagree. Sporter barrels CAN be harder to tune than heavy barrels. That does not mean sporter barrels are inherently less accurate. Thinner is not less accurate. I said it is simply a matter of finding the right load. If a person is unwilling to work for it, that's fine and perfectly understandable. It's not evidence that I am unwilling and incapable and a liar 'cuz I claim to do so with my rifles.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast