Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
I don't disagree. Sporter barrels CAN be harder to tune than heavy barrels. That does not mean sporter barrels are inherently less accurate. Thinner is not less accurate. I said it is simply a matter of finding the right load. If a person is unwilling to work for it, that's fine and perfectly understandable. It's not evidence that I am unwilling and incapable and a liar 'cuz I claim to do so with my rifles.
Yes thinner barrels ARE inherently less accurate for MANY reasons not only related to tuning. Could a thin barrel shoot a better group than a thicker barrel? Sure. Anything can happen once.
The factors keeping the deck loaded AGAINST thinner barrels is long.
1. Faster, larger and less predictable resonance.
2. More and less consistent barrel torque due to rotational mass.
3. Thermal issues. Even if you wait 1 hr between shots it will be inherently less stable.
4. Weight/balance. A 6lb gun may be just as inherently accurate as a 12lb gun. Shooting it accurately is ANOTHER issue.

Yes a light barrel can be incredibly accurate. A HUMMER light barrel may run better than a regular heavy, this is an exception to a rule however. Until I see the short range BR guys heading toward sporter weight barrels, I will keep this opinion intact , in my mind anyway.
PROVING anything with a GUN on the INTERNET is difficult as we still aren't 100% AWARE of EVERYTHING going on in a gun during firing. We are close, but not there yet.