Thread: Help identifying model 10

55stone

Help identifying model 10

Hey guys looking at a model 10. The guy that has it says it's a 10 precision carbine but I'm unsure that's what it is.. For 1 it has a flutted 22" barrel and I couldn't find any PC's with that barrel. Second it has the bolt release up too instead of by the trigger guard. I attached a picture let me know what u guys think it is.. Thanks in advance
    http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...psxhckjuue.jpg

Basic Member
    Check out this thread, should answer your question. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...fy-this-Savage

55stone
    Thanks for the reply but from the post you linked and the link inside the other post neiter of those are similar to the picture I posted minus the stock color and being a model 10... This ones bolt release is still up top and the barrel is flutted and Supposably 22"... The link in the other post just helps me confirm it's not a 10 precision carbine... Thank you for the post though

Basic Member
    Get the serial number from him and put it into savage search on their site. Should tell you everything.

As far back as I can remember the PC barrels were 20". Sometimes threaded and sometimes not.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

One thing I know for sure is over the years and still continuing, Savage makes various variants for the major chain stores like Dicks, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc. Often these variants get their own model designations, but more often they do not.

Example: Dick's Sporting goods may order a run of 10PC rifles. However they want a fluted barrel, threaded muzzle, and a different colored stock. Savages sells a whole order to one customer and Dick's gets to claim they are the exclusive dealer of this exact model.

It has happened enough over the years that it has become a normal thing. I remember there was a chain store located mostly in the southern states that ordered the old Stevens 200 rifles for sale exclusively at their stores but instead of the grey stock normal to the Stevens line at the time, their's all came with a tan version. At one point they had enough of a surplus of these rifles that the 270 and 7-08 chambered models were being clearanced off for $179 each. I wish I'd had made the drive to one and picked up a dozen back then.

Anyway it is a possibility, but as stated above: plug your serial number into the Savage website parts finder and it should tell you what you want to know.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I remember there was a chain store located mostly in the southern states that ordered the old Stevens 200 rifles for sale exclusively at their stores but instead of the grey stock normal to the Stevens line at the time, their's all came with a tan version. At one point they had enough of a surplus of these rifles that the 270 and 7-08 chambered models were being clearanced off for $179 each.
    Academy
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.