Thread: New owner = first post and what did I just buy?

gregshin

New owner = first post and what did I just buy?

Bought my first ever bolt gun on black friday.

It was this Mark II in Kryptek. I couldn't find any info on Savage's website for this particular model...so I'm coming to you guys. I bought this one below for $259 after rebate. Comes with a Bushnell scope too.

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/sto...0/_/A-5435250#

The closest thing i can compare this model is the FV-SR or the FV-SR Landry...don't know the difference between my model the other 2 mentioned models.

Did i do alright for $259?

Basic Member
    I do not see much info on the net about that model either, most the time when savage makes a specific model for a company to sell ( Walmart , Farm King Etc ) they do not list it on their site.

give Savage a call and they should be able to give you info on it, Have the model ( 28719 ) and serial number ready. 1-800-370-0708

It is a Mark II FV SR Kryptek and is not in their general catalog. It is the same rifle as the standard FV SR with a camo stock. I paid $240 for my FV SR, so $19 more got you a camo stock and a Bushnell. You did ok, the FV SR is an awesome rifle, though I've seen a few that tend to shoot low. When I first tried to sight mine in at 50 yards I used all of the elevation available in the scope and was still about 4 inches low. I solved it with Burris Signature Zee rings and 20moa inserts, a 20moa scope base from someone like EGW would also have worked.

As good as the rifle is, that Bushnell that they put on there isn't worth much. It may work for you, but I'd look at something a little better. Other opinions may vary, but I don't care for the scopes that Savage puts on their package guns.

Have fun, and be careful. Having a rifle with a threaded barrel leads to yearning for a suppressor, which can be an addiction in itself. :)

gregshin
    thanks guys! i had a feeling it was a FV SR with just a different stock and scope.

is there a general consensus on what kinda brand of 22lr the fvsr likes? or is every gun different?

Banned
    All are different, get several one lot boxes of ammo and try. The more expensive stuff tends to shoot better but sometimes lower cost stuff is really good.

Norma TAC is in at Cabellas these days and my CZ really likes it.

I am working toward a Savage due to the heavier barrel and steadier for my bench rest shooting.

most package scopes are just door stoppers and paper weights anyway.i would sooner have them lower the price and just pick my own scope.

Basic Member
    My bud has one and it is a shooter. You did good!