Thread: Savage Model 99 with no Serial Number or Date Code

carthago

Savage Model 99 with no Serial Number or Date Code

I have a Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage (probably an EG circa 1956). It has no serial number anywhere on it and no date code. The lever boss has an eight-point asterix where the date code should be. The area where the serial number should be is absolutely smooth. Also, the hidden end of the forearm piece has a marking (3 over the letters BR) in the wood. The butt stock under the butt plate is also marked the same. It was manufactured at the Chicopee Falls factory.

Does anybody have an idea of what this was intended to be. It almost makes me think it was not intended for resale? It definitely has some wear and been fired but is in very good condition.

Team Savage
    I had one with a Utica barrel and no serial number, and I know of one other, probably with a Chicopee barrel. The consensus from the experts I spoke with, is...they're not sure why. Maybe upset quality control around the transition of factory change to Chicopee, maybe lunchbox specials?
    Jeff518

I don't think it's a lunch box special, sounds more like a Chicopee rifle and someone put Westfield post mil 99 furniture on it.

The serial number missing would raise red flags on a possible stolen rifle.
    Savage- "never say never".

Before 1968 most rifles don't have a serial number

carthago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I don't think it's a lunch box special, sounds more like a Chicopee rifle and someone put Westfield post mil 99 furniture on it.

The serial number missing would raise red flags on a possible stolen rifle.
    The area on the bottom of the receiver near the lever boss has a uniform patina as on the rest of the receiver and shows no telltale depression that would indicate removal of the serial number. I don't think it is an early enough rifle to to have been produced when serial numbers were not used. Also, if someone removed the serial number, it still has a strange asterix where the date code belongs. Where you saying that there was some sort of furniture that had the "number 3 over BR lettering" stamped on it?

Ya, post one million serial numbered 99's wouldn't have a serial number just a code like the one you mentioned, that's why I think the woods been swapped.

The asterisk is most likely just an inspection stamp.

I'm wondering if maybe you got a Westfield rifle and they used a left over Chicopee barrel on it. Did you take off the forearm and look underneath the barrel for another date code there? If it is a Westfield rifle which is the way it's pointing it won't usually have a date code although I have ran into a few other models that had them like an X on one of my old model 170's in 35 Rem.

carthago
    Ya, post one million serial numbered 99's wouldn't have a serial number just a code like the one you mentioned, that's why I think the woods been swapped.

The asterisk is most likely just an inspection stamp.

I'm wondering if maybe you got a Westfield rifle and they used a left over Chicopee barrel on it. Did you take off the forearm and look underneath the barrel for another date code there? If it is a Westfield rifle which is the way it's pointing it won't usually have a date code although I have ran into a few other models that had them like an X on one of my old model 170's in 35 Rem.
    I checked underneath the barrel after removing the forearm and there are no markings there. You mentioned a Westfield rifle. All know about that is that it was a headquarters location for Savage at one time.

carthago

Pictures of the Savage 99 EG

I have finally got around to providing some pictures of the rifle. I can add others if anyone wants me to.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Wow, that's real weird, it's wearing model EG wood but no serial numbers on it, strange.

It all points to a Chicopee made 99EG except no serial numbers, maybe it was a lunch box special.

carthago
    Wow, that's real weird, it's wearing model EG wood but no serial numbers on it, strange.

It all points to a Chicopee made 99EG except no serial numbers, maybe it was a lunch box special.
    Mad Dog, you didn't explain to me what a Westfield rifle would look like. I am adding some more pics. It has the brass bead on the front sight and you will note that it was not tapped for scope mounts as original. This makes me think from what I can find is that it is before 1957 and probably 1955/56. I used Murray's "A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle, 3-59 as a reference. The rifle originally had sling mount hardware. Also, I have another question for you.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by carthago; 12-04-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Remove one line of text

No, now that I see the gun it definitely rules out a Westfield rifle. They were made after 1960 and most had pressed checkering.

The gun looks all legit only no serial numbers.

Tell me whats stamped on the front of the receiver? You'll have to take the forearm off again.

carthago
    Here is a picture of the receiver front end. No Markings here.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by carthago; 12-04-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spacing

carthago

Looking at Reciever/Furniture Fit Problem

I was looking at a fit problem between the receiver and the butt-stock that may explain some things. I think the butt-stock was binding where the right side meets the edge of the receiver. Notice that it looks like the end of the stock is pushed upward with respect to the receiver. I also think that the bottom edge of the receiver where the trigger guard boss swoops into the receiver is not finished properly. The combination of issues may have caused this rifle to be set aside. I have also notice a crack in the butt-stock on the right side of the receiver tang that is almost invisible but can be felt with my fingers. It was a fixable problem but not a priority and so the gun was never finished for resale. Maybe someone liberated it at the factory not thinking it would be missed.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by carthago; 12-04-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: text

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    Before 1968 that was only legal for small caliber rimfires and possibly some shot guns and even then most companies still serial numbered there higher quality ones, all Savage pump 22,s were serial numbered until until about 1950 and so were most Winchester and Remington 22's. All high power rifles should have serial numbers even if made before 1968.

carthago
    Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
    Before 1968 that was only legal for small caliber rimfires and possibly some shot guns and even then most companies still serial numbered there higher quality ones, all Savage pump 22,s were serial numbered until until about 1950 and so were most Winchester and Remington 22's. All high power rifles should have serial numbers even if made before 1968.
    From what I see by looking at the 1934 National Firearms Act, it only applies to NFA defined firearms (machine guns, short barreled rifles and shotguns, suppressors). There was no requirement for serial numbers on any other guns. The 1968 Firearms Act did not require serial numbers for guns in existence before the act. The only problem is if a serial number was "removed, obliterated, or changed" if it had previously been there. Firearm serial numbers by manufacturers prior to 1968 was entirely optional.
    Last edited by carthago; 12-04-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: change text

Basic Member
    Well, while I'm new here, I'm not new to Savage rifles. ALL that I know of had #s. I think it's a lunch box rifle. Very unusual.

carthago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Well, while I'm new here, I'm not new to Savage rifles. ALL that I know of had #s. I think it's a lunch box rifle. Very unusual.
    I am sure that this rifle should have been given a serial number due to its apparent manufacture date. That is what makes me think that it never got out of the production floor in the normal manner. The actual circumstances may not be able to be determined. I would still like to know what an asterix means where the date code should be.

I just bought a savage 99 300 savage with no serial number, did you ever figure yours out. exactly the same rifle except i dont have scope holes on the receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    Almost all Savage 1899's and 99's do have serial numbers.
    I'm pretty sure the Savage 1895's do too.

I have a 99 that also has an asterisk for a boss code but it does have a serial number.
    I'd love to know more about that.

Basic Member
    Before the date codes started in 1949, there would be a stamp on the front of the lever. Just an inspection/assembly code stamped on during manufacturing. I'm sure it indicated a specific inspector or assembler.