Thread: gun smith??

Team Savage

gun smith??

I am looking to get a barrel cut off and recrowned..Any one know a good smith in north east pa..Thanks..

Basic Member
    My first choices if I were too lazy to cut-crown one myself would be Bob Green (York) or Mark King. (Duncannon)
    http://greensrifles.com/
    http://www.markkingrifles.com/

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

My first choices if I were too lazy to cut-crown one myself
    Pay attention noname

Look up barrel crown cutter. It will need a pilot.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Pay attention noname

Look up barrel crown cutter. It will need a pilot.

Or you can cut it off smooth it up with a file and use use a Lee case cutting tool with an caliber appropriate case length gauge as a pilot in order to keep everything square and cut a nice flat recessed crown. Just chuck the Lee case sutter up in a drill and it will only take a minute or two.
    Then chuck up a brass screw with a head a little larger than the bore and in the drill and lightly polish the edge of the bore. You can use a little polishing compound or lapping compound on the screw head if you wish. Total cost of tools and supplies around $10-15 if you have a drill.

http://leeprecision.com/cutter-lock-stud.html http://leeprecision.com/case-conditi...h-gauge-holder

Yeah I'm a cheap ol curmudgeon and figured this out on an old "BubbaIzed" British Enfield that someone else had molested and screwed up including cutting the end of the barrel without a clue. I found a way around expensive specialized tools, Cheap specialized tools normally used for something else :)
    Before

After

excuse the blurry photos
    When you're done just touch it up with a dab of cold blue.
    Good Luck if you decide to give it a try. It's very very easy. PS it shoots great
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-30-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Or you can cut it off smooth it up with a file and use use a Lee case cutting tool with an caliber appropriate case length gauge as a pilot in order to keep everything square and cut a nice flat recessed crown. Just chuck the Lee case sutter up in a drill and it will only take a minute or two.
    Then chuck up a brass screw with a head a little larger than the bore and in the drill and lightly polish the edge of the bore. You can use a little polishing compound or lapping compound on the screw head if you wish. Total cost of tools and supplies around $10-15 if you have a drill.

http://leeprecision.com/cutter-lock-stud.html http://leeprecision.com/case-conditi...h-gauge-holder

Yeah I'm a cheap ol curmudgeon and figured this out on an old "BubbaIzed" British Enfield that someone else had molested and screwed up including cutting the end of the barrel without a clue. I found a way around expensive specialized tools, Cheap specialized tools normally used for something else :)
    Before

After

excuse the blurry photos
    When you're done just touch it up with a dab of cold blue.
    Good Luck if you decide to give it a try. It's very very easy. PS it shoots great
    Yep I have done a couple very similar to the way he does it. Works like a champ both of my guns I have done it to still shoot well under 1 moa as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Git er done.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    never did anything like that.I suppose I could though,cut a little off at a time to practice with unlit I get it where I want it...

Basic Member
    Yep

Team Savage
    looked up the jig that midway had but,they no longer have them available.

Basic Member
    I use a pipe cutter and run it around acouple times to score a good line then hacksaw nice and slow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Git er done.
    Now Robinhood, do you live by that motto, or only when it relates to what you perceive to be simple things like cutting/crowning barrels? lol

Banned
    Don't let any0one talk you into something, if you feel like you want to good, maybe this helps.

I posted a link a while back on bungering up the crown.

it seems it will shoot ok no mater what you do.

No matter what anyone says, there is a learning curve.

A non parallel surface (tapered barrel for instance ) does not take pipe cutter well. That's why they call em pipe cutters, intended for parallel surfaces.

I could do a good jog cutting it off with a hack saw and with a file to get flat at the muzzle. I have not been there yet.

Basic Member
    I cut and crowned my Sako Finnbear after the local so called Gun Smith messed it up, mine shoots 1/2 minute at 100 yards now that I did the job myself. I used an 11 degree or 79 degree depending on how you look at it, cutter from Brownel. If you are careful do it yourself if you don't feel comfortable make sure the Smith is reputable check out reviews on them.