Hey guys, as you see i'm new to the site and Savage rifles. I've shot a couple of buddy's Savages and liked them and a local sporting goods store has them on sale now so i picked up an Axis II in 6.5 Creedmore - which is a new caliber to me and i like what i had read about it. The sale included the gun, all back, synthetic with a decent Weaver 3-9x mounted and bore sighted all for $299 after the mail in rebate. They only had 3 different flavors of 6.5 in stock, all different hornady's and i went with the 143 grain precision hunter. Brought her home and started off at 45 paces to make sure i was on paper and fired 3 quick shots and the group was excellent but def needed some adjusting. I got it close and backed out to 100 yards and did some fine tuning and i can say i'm very happy with this gun and cartridge! I've always deer hunted and have always had the same Ruger M77 for about 25 years and it's served me well but i've never been real satisfied with how it grouped but since i rarely shoot over 150 it was fine but i must say i can't wait to get in a stand with the new Savage.

i'm thinking of doing some upgrades which customizing a rifle will be new to me as well but i've read a few post here and had a few questions. seems like Boyd is a popular stock and i'm curious which ones you guys have preferred? I also see some of you recommending a scope rail and i'd like to know what advantages this offers? i know i'll want to upgrade the glass on it and i've got my eye on a Leupold or Vortex. what else am i missing beside a new barrel which i'd like to do last if i do it at all. thanks for any input!