Thread: Please help with manufacture date!

Momma Bear

Please help with manufacture date!

Hi all. When I was 16 my dad made a gift to me of a Savage .250-3000. I know very little about it, other than it's been my favorite rifle for the 22 years since he gave it to me. Here's what I know: it's bolt action, it's got a smooth (non-checkered) forearm, serial number is 9122, it has peep sights that appear to be original (and as long as I'm alive it will never have a scope put on it because it's a tackdriver without one!), I've shot many deer with it. Any more info would be very greatly appreciated. Not looking to sell, just curious about when it was made. I've gotten conflicting information about it. I've heard it wasn't made until the late 1940's (which I've since learned isn't true), and I've also heard that the serial number puts it in the late 1880s/early 1890s (which I've also since learned isn't true). I'm having one heck of a time nailing it down, and I'd really like to know more about it. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Momma Bear; 11-29-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Basic Member
    A picture of it and a model number would help a LOT! Need more info please! Sounds like a real treasure, and family heirloom.

Momma Bear
    I tried adding photos but for some reason they didn't show up, and there's no model number on it at all. The only number imprinted on it is 9122, nothing else

Momma Bear
    [IMG]imprint.jpeg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Bear View Post
    [IMG]imprint.jpeg[/IMG]
    Here is a guide to posting pictures...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...eman-can-do-it!

Basic Member

Does it look like this?? It's Savage Super Sporter, model 45. Made from 1928-1940. http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=472

Momma Bear
    Similar, but not quite the same. Thanks for the picture posting guide!

Momma Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    It is possible. Still waiting on a password reset email from Photobucket so I can upload photos. It's possible that someone put a different stock on it before my dad bought it. As far as I can tell there's no model number imprinted anywhere on the barrel. Would it happen to be on the bottom of the barrel and I could see it if I removed the stock?

Basic Member
    I was thinking the same thing, that it may have been restocked. See if it has a Savage butt plate or if it says something like Bishop or Fajen. Sometimes the model number was not even put on, it just says Savage Sporter or something like that on the barrel.

Momma Bear
    It does say Super Sporter on the barrel, and it also has a Savage butt plate (that's not saying that it's not from an original stock and put on a replacement). I've been waiting for a password reset email for over an hour now, so not sure what's going on with that. As soon as I get one I'll put pictures on here.

Basic Member
    If it says super sporter than it's one of the two models I mentioned!! It is a treasure!!

I've owned and seen two more model 1920's that didn't have checkered stocks.

You could tell they were Savage factory stocks, just were not checkered.

If it says sporter on the barrel it's a model 40 though, a model 45 would have been checkered.

I'm guessing it's a Lyman model 42 peep sight on it as it should be factory D&T'd on the side of the barrel for one but I wouldn't get it drilled and tapped for a scope as you said, as the sporters in 250 are the hardest ones to come across.
    Savage- "never say never".

Momma Bear

Momma Bear
    It is a Lyman sight, at one point the aperture fell out and my dad gave me one from his .22 that he uses for competition shooting.

Basic Member
    Sure look's like the M45. 1928-1940. Hard to nail down the exact year. I've got a couple Sporters in .25-20 and .22 Hornet and I can't get the exact year. You may have to contact a Savage historian. I have the same sight on the .25-20. That sight has an aperture that flips from small to large. Check E bay for a replacement part if you want to restore it.

Basic Member
    double post

Not a 45, a 40, the 45's were checkered, 40's weren't.

Real nice condition for a gun that old as well, hard to find them like that.
    Savage- "never say never".

Momma Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Not a 45, a 40, the 45's were checkered, 40's weren't.

Real nice condition for a gun that old as well, hard to find them like that.
    It's my baby, that's for sure. Love my little gun!