Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Criterion barrel

cs700

1st Criterion barrel

I decided to make my Model 12 LRP 6.5 CM a switch barrel setup. I order a Criterion in 6BR Norma, 28" bull barrel 1-8 twist yesterday from James at NSS. My plans are to try & make it a 300 yard bench rifle. I've had good luck in the past with Shilen & X-cailber barrels but have heard good results with Criterion so I thought I give one a try. Any thoughts?

You made a good choice... :-)

You'll be shooting bug holes with it in no time. I've got one a 22-250 and she will put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards if I do me part. I'm ordering another one in 260 Rem match.

Basic Member
    I've got one in 260 that is a lot of fun to shoot to 1000 yards.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I've got one in 260 that is a lot of fun to shoot to 1000 yards.
    Psharon,

That's great to hear..... That's what I'm hoping to be able to do with mine....

Banned
    Reports say you should do good. Both NSS and Criterion stand behind their offerings so you will do fine even worst case it does not produce right.

Basic Member
    I have one in 260 Remington that shoots 1/2 minute... When I first put it on, it was a 3/4 to 1 moa barrel but I sent it back to Criterion and when I got it back it was a shooter. Good luck with your new barrel...

Basic Member
    You made a good choice. I have one in 6.5x55. It's their match throat version. It shoots excellent: around 1\4 moa at 100 yards consistently.

Basic Member
    I just had my 6.5x47 Criterion out last weekend. 3-9 mph wind @ 3 o'clock. Pulled one at 400yds it was called so I guess I deal with it. I have 3 Criterions 3 different calibers they all shoot great.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavReconScout View Post
    I just had my 6.5x47 Criterion out last weekend. 3-9 mph wind @ 3 o'clock. Pulled one at 400yds it was called so I guess I deal with it. I have 3 Criterions 3 different calibers they all shoot great.
    So you typically shoot 1/4MOA at 400 yards!? That's fantastic. I would by psyched with double that!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Some days are better than others, but this barrel is a hummer. This was from the same range session also at 400 yds doing a load work up with 140 hybrids. First shot was a hair high, so I came down .1 mil. All groups were shot prone from a bipod and rear bag at a 40% IPSC:

Banned
    CavReconScout:

I have tried a different method dealing with the flyers. I know its not valid for a match, but as we can make up our own rules (and to me as long as they make sense)

If I shoot a group like that with a real off one, I then shoot a 6th. If its in with the rest, I call it good and accept it as a 5 shot (more along the lines ok, I mucked one up but this is what the load and rifle really are capable of)

If its larger, I accept the larger, if its another flyer I accept its gun, me or the reload.

I was shooting a couple weeks back and got real nice 4, something like 3/8 at 105 yes, then the 5th one just jumped low and to the left.

I looked at what I had left, ok, lets seen. Ran 4 more into the group, 5/8 with 9 into it. The flyer was out like 3/4.

Ok, I think that was me!

Basic Member
    Makes sense, I wasn't too worried it was a load work up and I was checking my data. The barrel is very consistent, this was a dot drill stage at a match last year @ 100 yds:

Basic Member
    This was from a Criterion 308 barrel with FGMM 175 @ 100 from a bipod:

Nandy
    I got my criterion on 22-250 a couple weeks ago. Planning on deer hunt with it for mostly neck shots under 250 yards. Working a load using varget and berger 70 grain vlds has been a dream.

third batch of groups:
    This was a variable windy day, not ideal for load development but it is what it is...

finally went with the second group, was lucky to have the new scope and a day with 0 wind. Here is the 3 shot group after the first adjustment and the single shot with the final adjustment...

Yeah, I think im keeping this load although i am going to keep developing for speed. I have yet to see any pressure signs and I love a bit more speed than the 3154is im shooting now. That vortex pst 4-16x50 got that target close and clear. I generally dont shoot 3 bullets in a hole, specially that tight but I put the same scope on my 7mm and also nailed 2 in the same hole so I think that extra 7x magnification is helping much... I shooting using a caldwell rock deluxe rest and a caldwell bunny ears rear bag. Gun has the criterion brake and it moves about 1/4 inch on every shot so I can really let the rest do the work and not worrying about black eyes...

Criterion barrel

Here is the results of my Criterion barrel from a 7mm08, 100 yards, 3 shots best group, bipod and rear bag.
    GLC

cs700
    A big thanks to James @ NSS. He has been dealing with snowstorm & blizzard things affecting shipment in & out. Got notice Friday that he had shipped my barrel.

Nandy
    Jim is a nice guy. Im almost positive the criterion barrels are dropped shipped from the factory.

cs700
    New barrel received & installed. I was able to make a quick trip to my range to start break in & line up scope. The wind was too strong to go beyond 25 yards but I did get scope lined up & 15 rounds down the new barrel I tried 5 each of Varget, H4895 & Reloader 15 with 95gr SMK's. Center target was 1st shot with Varget. 2 shots to line up scope then other 3. Left lower was with H4895. Even though target frame was staked down a strong wind gust tipped the target forward as I fired last shot. Lower right was with RL15. Looks like I may have some good choices for further load development.

---
    Last edited by Leroy Tyrebyter; 12-19-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to reply with quote

Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    I have one in 260 Remington that shoots 1/2 minute... When I first put it on, it was a 3/4 to 1 moa barrel but I sent it back to Criterion and when I got it back it was a shooter. Good luck with your new barrel...
    Did Criterion offer an explanation of what they did when you returned your barrel?

LT

Basic Member
    They told me that they lapped the barrel and re-cut the crown. Which very well could have fixed the problem. I know when it left me the base to ogive measurement touching the lands was 2.318 and when I got it back it was 2.321 which is extremely close so I don't think they messed with the chamber portion of the barrel at all.. I recently shot 2 cleans in a row at 600 yards and the second one was a 200-18x with this barrel at 1400 rounds down the tube... It is an impressive piece for sure and I'm going to buy another one whenever this one lets up. I am wondering if CBI will cut an 1" or 2 off this barrel and set it back for me with the same reamer?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    They told me that they lapped the barrel and re-cut the crown. Which very well could have fixed the problem. I know when it left me the base to ogive measurement touching the lands was 2.318 and when I got it back it was 2.321 which is extremely close so I don't think they messed with the chamber portion of the barrel at all.. I recently shot 2 cleans in a row at 600 yards and the second one was a 200-18x with this barrel at 1400 rounds down the tube... It is an impressive piece for sure and I'm going to buy another one whenever this one lets up. I am wondering if CBI will cut an 1" or 2 off this barrel and set it back for me with the same reamer?

I'm glad to hear everything ran well after the lap & recut/recrown. We're always happy to help out if anyone ever has problems with any of our products. On the extremely rare case where it's something we cannot effectively service, we'll be more than willing to fast track a replacement through production.

In the case of this particular barrel, we could remove some material from the breech face and re-ream the chamber, but the price of running that operation would likely prove less cost effective than simply replacing the barrel. This is mostly because the amount of material that can be removed off the breech face is somewhat limited due to the thread length and shank design.

If OP has any questions about his new barrel, or if there's anything we can ever help with, feel free to give us a call!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    Jim is a nice guy. Im almost positive the criterion barrels are dropped shipped from the factory.
    We normally produce the barrels and ship them to Northland. NSS normally inspects, inventories, and distributes them to the end user. We may drop ship on rare occasions (for example, if we're sending a free barrel directly to a customer if they set a new National Record, or if the customer is under a severe time crunch for an upcoming match and requires expedited shipping), but generally NSS receives the shipments before they forward them to the rifle builder.

Banned
    I kind of like the final inspection by Jim.

While it was not a Criterion, when he got it, he checked the threads for smoothness, and an overall inspection.

Probably the hardest thing in the world to look at the same thing day in and day out and not give each one its full attention.

cs700
    Ran into an issue with the rifle after I moved to 100 yards. 20 MOA scope base was too much to zero so I had to swap it got a 0 MOA base. After re zero scope I only had a few rounds left to test. 3 shot group each at 100 yards-95gr Sierra MK & Berger 95gr VLD both with Reloader 15. It appears both have good potential. Now for some tweaking

SMK

Berger VLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast