Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer failure.....What to do?

Basic Member

Have all rounds from the 50 box in question that you have already tried failed to fire? If so try seating the primer on a couple again (try seating deeper) and try those. If for some reason that box didn't seat all the way it can cause exactly what you are experiencing.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna order a hornaday gauge tomorrow. I only have two of the rifles available to me to play with so I'll measure them both. I'll report back what I find. Any way this works out I'll learning more so I'm happy about that.
    This is the way many of us do it.

The Lee die is the worst die I have for excessive shoulder bump if the dies directions are followed, meaning with the die contacting the shell holder.
    My lee 223 and 308 are that way. Others were fine.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    What he needs to do is measure EACH rifle chamber. Easy way without getting too involved is to take a piece of fired brass from his rifle, tape the head and see how it fits. Now for the hard part. Take that piece of taped brass and see how it fits/compares to the chambers on the other rifles.
    Forget the tape, all you need is a spent fired primer and resized case.

Measure the length of the resized case and write it down.

Next take a spent primer and with just finger pressure start the primer into the primer pocket.

Now take this case and slowly chamber the case and let the bolt face seat the primer.
    Now take the case out and remeasure the case and write it down.
    Then subtract the first case measurement from the second.
    The amount the primer is sticking out from the base of the case is your head clearance.

If you really liked this posting please send cash or checks to bigedp51's cheap bastards headspace gauge PO Box 17112

This money will be used to stop the importation of cheap Chinese scotch tape and lower the national dept. (yes we recycle used primers)

Basic Member
    ROTFLMAO, (about your "cheap bastards headspace gage" of course).

Nice pics and graphics, ED!

This money will be used to stop the importation of cheap Chinese scotch tape and lower the national dept. (yes we recycle used primers)
    LOL. Count me in!

Hahahaha big Ed thanks. I'll give it go and let you guys know. Problem I have I recently invested in Chinese scotch tape and you are killing my gun funds endeavour!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    The photos were .303 British cases I made up for use in Enfield forums and checking actual headspace. When you the add case length difference to your rim thickness you have your actual headspace.

A .303 British Enfield at maximum military headspace of .074 and a case with a rim thickness of .058 could have .016 head clearance. Thats .014 more than .002 shoulder bump!!!!!

You can also use this primer method with a Hornady case gauge to get your chamber headspace length and compare it to a fired case. (brass spring back)

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    I wanna make sure I understand this. You guys think headspace is to blame? I'm having a hard time understanding why. All 200 rounds where sized with the same die, loaded to the same OAL, primed with the same primers, loaded with the same powder, and all three rifles had multiple FTFs out of one box of 50 and none from the other three boxes. But every one of the primers I have pulled fired with the hammer test. I have 5 more FTF I didn't pull that I will reseat for my .270 and my brothers .270. I don't have access to my cousins he is in Tennessee. You definitely know a lot more about this then I do. I appreciate all the help hopefully someone can help me wrap my brain around it. I'm gonna buy a headspace gauge any suggestions on brand.
    What measurements do you get with your socket on the fired rounds and the rounds that FTF. You might be able to use a spent 9mm case as well (just a guess on my part. I don't shoot a 270)

Didn't make it back in time to use your method Big Ed. I'm at work now, but I got time tomorrow after I wake up. Pitbull I don't have my load sheet in front of me, but I think it was around .003" bump with the socket. I'll verify when I go out there to measure with Big Ed's meathod. A 9mm case isn't a bad Idea. I got the socket idea off here a while back and never had any problems with it I generally pull three measurements for consistency on anything I measure when it comes to loading.

I want to take the time to thank everyone for spending the time helping me figure this out.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12