Thread: Axis magazine interchangeability question

Axis magazine interchangeability question

I purchased an Axis in .243 Winchester for my .450 Bushmaster build. All is fine with the rifle and it shoots better than I ever expected. Rounds feed fine from the 243 mag but I don't like all the extra room in the front of the mag allowing the rounds to jump forward under recoil. As I don't own any other Axis rifles, was curious if the 223 has the same dimensions externally. Will it snap in and lock into a 243 stock? If so, will it feed 450 Bushmasters? Anybody done this?
    Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a crack dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

Basic Member
    The 223 mag is externally the same as 243. The 223 has a spacer at the back and a shorter follower. That pushes the 223 round forward in the magazine

Basic Member
    ^^^but the .223 is also narrower in the body of the mag. Lips are also much narrower and tighter.

I've had nothing but trouble trying to get .450 Bushmaster in my Axis. When I'm running the bolt fast, they nosedive and fail to feed. Some people have gotten them to work evidently without any additional work, but I've been doing nothing but additional work and not having any success.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^but the .223 is also narrower in the body of the mag. Lips are also much narrower and tighter.
    Do you know if there is a mag that you could use with .223 but let you have a longer length to the ogive or coal?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhoggattjr View Post
    Do you know if there is a mag that you could use with .223 but let you have a longer length to the ogive or coal?

I do not know of any alternatives for the .223.

Basic Member
    The spacer in the .223 mag is a plastic block held in with a rivet. Drill it out and sand the block down...JB Weld it back in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    The spacer in the .223 mag is a plastic block held in with a rivet. Drill it out and sand the block down...JB Weld it back in.
    Thank you