Thread: Largest 7mm that can be fed into a Target action

DLrocket89

Largest 7mm that can be fed into a Target action

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a build on a Savage target action. I'd like to build basically the fastest 7mm that I can. I know that the short target action is intended for 308-type rounds. I'd replace the bolt head with whatever is needed obviously.

I'm concerned about case length coming back out of the port/the port length being too short.

When the cartridge is loaded it doesn't matter much because the round can basically be "shoehorned" into the chamber. My concern is the length of the brass coming back out and whether it'll fit through the port in the receiver.

Trim length of various cartridges under consideration:
    7mm Rem Mag - 2.490"
    7mm STW - 2.840"
    7mm RUM - 2.840"
    28 nosler - 2.590"

Has anyone successfully run a 7mm Rem Mag through a target action? Because if the 7RM works, I think the 28 Nosler would work too. Not sure about the STW and RUM.

Now, practicality of caliber selection aside, is there anything stupid about what I'm proposing?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin

If you must you can pull the bolt out to extract a long action cartridge. You could also get a BA repeater long action. It has the mag port cut into basically a long target action.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Isn't there a 112 long action target?

DLrocket89
    Robinhood - never thought of that...duh. *sigh*

hereinaz - I'd love it if there was one, but I'm pretty sure not. They sell some as completed guns, but I'm talking specifically about the recevier/bolt/accutrigger that they sell.

Basic Member
    Shilen makes a target action on the remington 700 footprint, but fit for Savage barrels with the floating Savage bolt head.

I have been thinking about that action or an action that comes blueprinted from Savage.

You may consider getting the 112 target and selling the barrel. You may be further ahead if you like the stock, etc. I've started with less to save a few bucks, and ended up being less than satisfied. I bet you could sell that stock too, if you didn't like it. You may be in it a little more, but you would have the long action. I have seen a 112 .338 target locally for $850.

By the way, I love the 7mm bullets and idea. You will be able to get really high BC. I have the 7rem mag, cause it is enough for me. But it is on the small side of what you are wanting.

Good luck. Maybe post a wanted ad for the long action target and see what comes up...

DLrocket89
    Sounds good, thanks for the replies! Didn't know that about Shilen. A bit pricier, but I'm guessing the cost is worth it.

I also did some more digging and found out that the 28 nosler (and all of the nosler cartridges for that matter) are the same bolt face and same OAL as the 300 win mag. So, basically, go buy a 300 win mag, rebarrel, and I should be good to go.

I remember someone building a 338 Edge on a PTA. He said it ejected fired brass just fine. Obviously, loaded rounds needed to pull the bolt.

Yes, the winmag, remington mag, STW, RUM, and Nosler all use the same bolt head diameter. Any 7mmRM or 300win donor rifle would work for a STW, RUM, or Nosler build.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar