Thread: Read alot

Basic Member

Read alot

read tons on Savage 308's and other guns made by Savage. My VT 308 shoots gray box 150's Winchesters just under an inch at 160 yards. Now is that normal , or do I have one of the good ones. I am using the same scope that came with it 4X12. It shoots 147 grain cheap ammo $9.99 7/8 of an inch at a little over 100 yards. Thanks

Basic Member
    Anything under MOA with factory ammo is awesome. So, your gun is awesome. I get caught up in the accuracy game as much as the next guy, but I realized that moa is an incredible feat for the shooter and the gun, really. My moa guns are still better than my skills.

It is amazing to me that because of incredible accuracy available with current technologies, I would question whether less than MOA was a good gun.

If you can shoot that, it says a lot about you and your gun. Congrats. It really is fantastic, unless you are competing for perfection. If you want perfection, then no, your gun is defective...

Basic Member
    I agree with hereinaz. if your shooting moa or better with off the shelf ammo and a factory setup accept it and roll with it.

A few years back my uncle was showing me his old winchester 88 that had a high end at the time weaver scope with shoot through rings which was latest and greatest also back then. looked chincy by todays standards. just goes to show how manufacturing improvements have allowed companies to make a higher quality product with less effort.

Reading is great but be sure and verify what you read especially on the internet.
    Preferably not by reading the same source somewhere else on the internet.
    There is a lot of not so good info that is repeated so often that it becomes "fact" to folks who have never even tried it.
    No substitute for experience. The older I get, I'm finding through experience that more and more of what I thought I knew (especially stuff I read on the internet) is BS or at least misinformation.
    Lots of great centerfires being manufactured now days. It sounds like you got a good one and maybe even a little lucky that you found a load it likes that easily.
    Most every modern bolt action I have will shoot sub minute, but sometimes finding the load it want's is a real challenge. :)
    Good luck and enjoy your rifle
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Read a lot and sift out the BS, you can usually recognize it.
    My youngest son (33) has an older Savage 111 in 270 Win. that I loaded up a few rounds for him to use Deer Hunting here in Vermont. He was using 150 grain Core-Loks and with his old Scope his groups were no better than 2" at 100 yards. We came to the conclusion his scope a $30.00 walmart special was toast so I bought him a new inexpensive Burris DropTine 3-9X and because he needed more ammo I bought some Hornady Brass and 140 Grain SST bullets. I had some H-4350 powder and BR2 primers so I loaded him up 50 with 53.1 grains so the bullet drop would match the ballistic reticle. I had to sight it in for him because he did not have time. I did 2 - 3 shot groups at 100 yards after obtaining zero that could be covered with a dime. That impressed me because it was just a random load we picked and I did not do any special case prep for accuracy. That is what got me interested in using the Savage Action to build a long range shooter. The rifle has a lot of plus features going for it.