Thread: 308 Axis and loading a shell?

Basic Member

308 Axis and loading a shell?

My 308 Axis,of which is new. I bought it 3 years ago but it set in my gun safe till this fall. Now i want to get it shooting well and give it to one of my sons !
    I have installed a Rifle Basics trigger and worked on the stock and bought extra mags for it.
    I have worked on loads and with a scope set at 4X it will group 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. No just one here and there but 4 or 5 groups in a row!
    My problem with it is this : It picks up the shell from the mag and after it is 3/4 of the way into the chamber it hangs up? I have to like leave off on it and pull the bolt back a hair then push it forward to go in the rest of the way and then lock the bolt down to fire!
    Any ideas on what is going on with this ????? The COL of the loads is not excessive in length and i ckeck my brass for chamber fit before loading it and it goes in well with no binding !

Have to tried loading the mag with the cartridges more forward than against the back of the mag

Basic Member
    Sounds like it's getting hung up on something. Next time it hangs up, leave it and inspect to see where. The bullet tip might be hitting the breech wall instead of going into the chamber.