Thread: MOA mounts.

duhast

MOA mounts.

OK, I understand the principle of an MOA mount, it gives you a degree of built-in elevation.

But when do you decide to use such a mount?

I've got a .308 coming. What's it's useful range? My scope is a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40. With a zero base, what's my max range?

Basically, what I'm asking is as a noob, should I stay with a zero, will I be pleasantly surprised with 10? Is 20 only for 1000 yard big boys?

KRP

Re: MOA mounts.

Depends on the rifle/scope/base/rings/ammo/etc.. Mount the scope, zero the rifle, check the available adjustment in the scope, then decide what angle of base you need(or if you need an angled base at all) for the distance you would like to shoot. Useful range depends on what your intended use is.

duhast

Quote Originally Posted by KRP
    Depends on the rifle/scope/base/rings/ammo/etc.. Mount the scope, zero the rifle, check the available adjustment in the scope, then decide what angle of base you need(or if you need an angled base at all) for the distance you would like to shoot. Useful range depends on what your intended use is.
    I don't hunt. I see this as a 'practical rifle', SKS is the battle gun, this will be the long(er) range 'problem solver' if TSHTF (brown stuff/whirling blades). A few weeks ago at the range with the SKS and Ishapore SMLE, both with peep sights, I was murdering a cantaloupe size rock at a measured 200. At this point I'd like to aspire to becoming quite deadly with it from 200-400. I think I can do it.

KRP

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think du hast what you need to kill rocks to 400.