Thread: action screw torque affecting trigger weight

Basic Member

action screw torque affecting trigger weight

I recently bought an Axis HB in .223 and I decided to do the "pen spring" trigger mod. So I screw out the factory spring and use the pen spring and a 10-24 set screw. I get it down to where it checks 3.5lbs on my trigger scale and passes the hammer test while it's outside the stock. So I put the action back in the stock and test again and the trigger pull is now 6lbs.

To make a long story short after playing with it for awhile I've come to realize the more I torque the back action screw the higher the trigger weight go's.
    Has anyone seen this correlation between the action screw and trigger weight before? I also see that there is a spring between the trigger housing and the action. Could I replace that with a shim and still be able to torque my action screw and keep my trigger weight at 3.5lbs?

Your stock is making contact with the trigger mechanism in some way?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Remove a little bit of the stock material to the rear of the rear action action screw somewhat like the model 10/110 series. (Don't mess with the pillar, just relieve some of the stock there.)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Your stock is making contact with the trigger mechanism in some way?
    Yeah, the back action screw has to go thru a hole in the trigger housing to get to the threads in the action. As you tighten the action down it compress' the spring between the trigger housing and the action until the trigger housing and action achieve contact at the same time pulling them against the stock. That is why I was wanting to know if I could put a shim of some sort between the two.

That screw should have no impact on anything trigger related. You will need to determine what has been distorted and perform the operation per FOXX.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Remove a little bit of the stock material to the rear of the rear action action screw somewhat like the model 10/110 series. (Don't mess with the pillar, just relieve some of the stock there.)
    Sorry, I was writing the other reply while you were posting yours. Do you mean how the factory stock is on the 10/110 or a mod for it? I was going to search for it.

Basic Member
    As an update and solution for future reference shaving a little material from the area behind the rear pillar fixed the issue.

I wasn't at home when I seen your post but once I had the stock in my hands the area that needed to be shaved was self explanatory.

thank you both for taking the time to answer my question!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk