Thread: range time in the cold

Team Savage

range time in the cold

How cold is it when you all go to the range?,,I find hand warmers help a lot..

Most of the time we don't have that problem in the south.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

If you have the stones, it's not uncommon to be near zero here in the winter. Typically it's in the 20's when we are out fooling around however.
    Just layer on the wool, and keep some antifreeze nearby
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Well, when it gets down to the 50s, I really need the extra tshirt and long pants. Brrrr.

LongRange
    i think it was 15-18degs this day...

i dont remember how cold it was this day as it was a several years ago but i do remember the chrony stopped working after 7 rounds and i stopped shooting after 10 rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i think it was 15-18degs this day...

i dont remember how cold it was this day as it was a several years ago but i do remember the chrony stopped working after 7 rounds and i stopped shooting after 10 rounds...

You mean the blast from that JP brake didn't keep you toasty? LOL
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

LongRange
    nope i was still freezing my a$$ off...i think the barrel was still cold after 10 rounds in the second pic LOL.

Basic Member
    Hey LongRange, My Buddy and I need a spot to Get the Dope on a few new Rifles. Where around Town are you shooting at and is it far from the Hwy and Rd.

Thanks
    MrVideoStore

LongRange
    im assuming you guys are in reno or sparks? im about 30 miles out of reno.

I shoot all winter here in SouthWestern Ontario Canada. We wear my winter hunting clothes and use hand warmers here and there, as well as ass winter cushions. Also turn the car on and run the heat to worm up once in a while.

The coldest day I remember shooting was -22c (-8 f) and with the wind was closer to -35c (-31 f). Only shot at 100 yards that day and stayed at the range less than 4 hours. Many country roads were closed that day but when my finger is itching very little can stop me from getting to the range.

Winter of 2014/2015 we had to use snowshoes to make it out to 300 meters.

Last winter wasn't that bad. Coldest day I went to the range was -16c (3 f) and with the wind was -25 (-13 f). It was blowing snow bad that day and the only reason why I went is because my buddy wanted to try his new M305 (Norinco M14) and he was driving a highly modified JEEP that could go through anything !

I like shooting in the cold. Don't have to worry about overheating the barrel ! and end up shooting more rounds in the winter than summer.

Here is a few pics of that -16 day last winter

Fella in the army camo is my buddy with the Jeep and the other dude in the realtree camo is my brother.

BTW.. The shooting tables are under a roof. That's snow blowing at us head on.

Basic Member
    Yes LongRange, In Reno. Was looking for somewhere on BLM Land with a Rd very Close by. From your Pics that place looked like what were looking for. Don't want to go out to Black Rock because of the Dirt would make a mess to the truck and equipment. Looking to mark from 100 - 1000 yrds.

Thanks
    MrVideoStore

LongRange

range time in the cold

I'm in fernley...where I shoot is a couple miles off the road but pretty easy to get to unless it's wet and even then not to bad.

I can get you from 100 to about 950yds in my normal spot and as far as you think you can shoot in a couple others...shoot me a pm if you guys want to meet up,I go out at least once most every weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks LongRange, I'll give you a shout out after I pick up a Range Finder and my buddy gets his chassis in. Would love to get the Dope in before the Matches start up in March. Breakfast and Coffee on me when we meet up in Fernley.

Thanks
    MrVideoStore

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I shoot all winter here in SouthWestern Ontario Canada. We wear my winter hunting clothes and use hand warmers here and there, as well as ass winter cushions. Also turn the car on and run the heat to worm up once in a while.

The coldest day I remember shooting was -22c (-8 f) and with the wind was closer to -35c (-31 f). Only shot at 100 yards that day and stayed at the range less than 4 hours. Many country roads were closed that day but when my finger is itching very little can stop me from getting to the range.

Winter of 2014/2015 we had to use snowshoes to make it out to 300 meters.

Last winter wasn't that bad. Coldest day I went to the range was -16c (3 f) and with the wind was -25 (-13 f). It was blowing snow bad that day and the only reason why I went is because my buddy wanted to try his new M305 (Norinco M14) and he was driving a highly modified JEEP that could go through anything !

I like shooting in the cold. Don't have to worry about overheating the barrel ! and end up shooting more rounds in the winter than summer.

Here is a few pics of that -16 day last winter

Fella in the army camo is my buddy with the Jeep and the other dude in the realtree camo is my brother.

BTW.. The shooting tables are under a roof. That's snow blowing at us head on.

Meanwhile, the (smart) half of the Canadiens come to Florida and fish all winter.
    Maybe even a higher percentage of Canuks. lol

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvideostore View Post
    Thanks LongRange, I'll give you a shout out after I pick up a Range Finder and my buddy gets his chassis in. Would love to get the Dope in before the Matches start up in March. Breakfast and Coffee on me when we meet up in Fernley.

Thanks
    MrVideoStore
    Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Well at least in Alaska we are civilized (or our Rabbit Creek Range is)

We have a shed with overhead infrared heaters, helps a lot.

Saturday was 15 degree F to start, wind blown upwards of 15 mph (fortunately from behind the shed). Some targets blowing over from time to time.

I put in around 6 hours. I did have my lightly insulated overalls on along with shirt, T shirt, vest and a down coat over the top (not zipped)

I did ok, range master thought I was nuts.

I also have a pair of great light gloves. Will get the name, have proven to be indestructible unlike others. I use those on the left hand and sometimes the right, light enough that I can do ok trigger work with them.

What's really screwy is I got on a roll and shot 8 groups 5/8 and under, one was 1/4 and the other 3/8. Happy camper.

As noted, you don't have to worry about the barrel overheating!

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Meanwhile, the (smart) half of the Canadiens come to Florida and fish all winter.
    Maybe even a higher percentage of Canuks. lol
    If you mean the old and useless, then yes, they love Florida. I don't mind the cold, but I do hate the heat ! and it's nice having the whole range to yourself all winter (our range has no range officers, we the members are the RO's !)

Banned
    The gloves I use are these

https://www.manzella.com/p/manzella-...352m?color=BLK

They probably start to loose it under 20F out in the open or not heated shooting shed for the non shooting hand, the might work ok for the shooting hand though down to 5 or so.