Thread: Questions about the Lady Hunter

CVFD834

Questions about the Lady Hunter

I have a couple questions pertaining to the Savage 111 Lady Hunter. I found what i considered to be a good deal and bought two of these rifles in 30/06. My original plan was to have one for my wife to hunt with and fix the other one for myself on a Boyd's stock. The following are some questions I have thanks for your help ...

1) On the one for my wife is the switch worth while to convert in to bottom metal rather than the factory plastic ?

2) If i convert hers will it require a new magazine ?

3) On the one I am putting on a Boyd's if I understand correctly I will need to have the bottom piece from the factory stock ? Would it also be better to buy bottom metal here ?

Thanks for all the help, this is my first post please let me know if I have failed to explain myself clearly.

Basic Member
    The Savage bottom metal made of metal should just drop in. I did it with mine. The tab can be cut off the plastic mag to work with metal bottom metal.

Frankly, I may go back to the plastic to save a little weight on my 7mm mag. I don't put so much use that I would worry about the tab on the magazine.

Check the classifieds here if you want the metal bottom metal. I've seen them come up. I may be listing mine.

I got a Boyds provarmint, and the plastic and metal bottom both fit fine. I do have an Axis Boyds that the mag is a little wonky, but I have yet to look for the issue carefully.

I only have top bolt release, so if yours is bottom bolt release, I don't think there is an issue, but you'll need to ask that question if it is.

Team Savage
    Switching out the plastic to a metal trigger guard would be my recommendation. The axis style DBM is ok if weight saving is critical. Otherwise you'll need the metal frame assembly (surround) and metal magazine bottom cap to convert from plastic to metal DBM.

CVFD834
    Thanks guys so just making sure I am understanding the bottom metal will work with the Boyd's correct ?

Team Savage
    Yes, the Boyds stock will accept the metal bottom parts.