Thread: Accustock aftermarket action/barrel build options (for Cadex chassis)

Accustock aftermarket action/barrel build options (for Cadex chassis)

I recently purchased my first rifle, it's a Savage 10 TR LEO. I mounted an Atlas bi-pod, 20 MOA Spuhr mount, cheek riser, Cadex muzzle brake and decent glass. I want try PRS but I hate the ergonomics of the standard stock and have an injury that makes using a rifle without a pistol grip difficult. I am going to purchase the Cadex Competition chassis for the Savage. It will be a great start with my current action/barrel, but once I get more rounds downrange, I want to be able to upgrade the action and barrel.

Note: I can't afford to buy a better rifle at this point, but the Cadex chassis is in the budget.

As I new shooter, what I don't know will fill a book. I have been trying to figure out aftermarket action/barrel options for weeks by surfing this site and I am now looking for help. Before I purchase the Cadex chassis I want to make sure I can upgrade the action and barrel down the road and ensure it will fit in the Cadex (Accustock mounting points). The Savage is great, I have shot 1/2" MOA at 300 meters, but I may actually get to the point where I need something more accurate and I don't want to have to purchase a new chassis or full rifle.

I bought the Savage because its a great rifle for the price. There is tons of information on aftermarket actions/barrels for the 700, but I am at a loss on the Savage. This is where I need the help!

Can you use something like a Bighorn action and order it to fit the Accustock mounting points? If it will fit in the Savage Accustock, it will work in the Cadex. I can then get a precision barrel and I understand this will create a very accurate setup. I understand this is not the way to retain the value, but I did not get into shooting with the idea of resale value.

Savage action footprint is different than the bighorn (as far as I know) so you'll be stuck with a chassis that will only fit Short Action savage receivers.

When Ordering a chassis or stock for your Savage action you should measure the spacing of the receiver screws. It's most likely 4.4" and make sure the stock/chassis is for that spacing.

Instead of getting a new receiver and barrel just get a hold of Mystic Precision and ask what pre-fit barrels he has in stock and if he doesn't have the length/contour/chambering you're looking for he'll order a Pre-fit Shilen barrel for you. I got 3 off him and they are great shooter !

To swap a prefit barrel you need a barrel nut wrench ($30 from opticsplanet), barrel vice ($130 from x-reload) or a action wrench ($80 wheeler from optics planet). If your barrel nut is smooth a pipe wrench will get it off but will ruin it and you'll need a castellated nut, I got mine from midway, and mind as well get a precision ground recoil lug. I have a wrench for smooth barrel nuts but can't find it for sale anywhere now. Go & no-go gauges ($cant remember). And a shilen prefit after shipping cost me $550'ish from mysticprecision.

A aftermarket action is not going to be any more accurate than a savage 10 action. The only difference is how smooth it is and most aftermarket receivers have Rem700 footprint so the aftermarket stock options are more stocked in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    A aftermarket action is not going to be any more accurate than a savage 10 action.
    How much increase in accuracy is there between a stock barrel and going with an aftermarket barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by C1A1 FAL View Post
    How much increase in accuracy is there between a stock barrel and going with an aftermarket barrel?
    My 3 Shilen Pre-fits average a bit under 1/2moa 5-shot groups. On a good day ten 5-shot groups will average 0.4moa or a lil less, on a bad day they'll average 0.49moa. I measure all groups after I get home and average them. These are handloads of course.

Sometimes you can get a good shooting Savage factory barrel but aftermarket barrels almost always shoot bugholes. Wish we could order directly from the USA.

Forgot to mention... If your Savage factory barrel shoots good (like 3/4moa) and you like the chambering, have fun with it for a while till you decide what you really need/want.

My brothers last 308win factory barrel (from a Savage 10 FCP-K) shoot pretty good and he kept shooting it for a couple of years till he burned the barrel out. Then he got a 308win Shilen prefit to replace it and he's happy with it.

Sometimes very little
    Most of the time it's a fair amount
    really happy with my Shilen barrel.

Try a Maners thumbhole like the MCS T5
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Try a Maners thumbhole like the MCS T5
    I am stuck on the Cadex. The folding stock allows the barrel to be cleaned without adjusting the cheek riser. Bag rider, AICS mags, side mount for Radius laser (budget/wife permitted) and my current setup bolts in and is built for the Savage without having to remove the scope/mount with no loss of zero. 2 bolts, torqued to 65 foot pounds. No tuning required. Plus bedding is never needed.

It's also made in Canada, which is a plus for me. Everything else I have is made in the USA, I think spending a few bucks here is nice for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    II like your Choice

That Cadex is a nice chassis.

I would not torque a Savage action to 65 in-lbs... 50 inch pounds max.
    65in-lbs is for Rem700 and the like.

For one of my builds I went with the MDS HS3 chassis because it ended about $500 cheaper than the Cadex you're going for.

Details of the rifle..

Mod 11 action
    HS3 chassis with the MDT but-stock & Houge pistol grip.
    MDT aics magazine in this pic but use others as well.
    Shilen 243win pre-fit 26" bull barrel
    Bushnell XRS glass
    Weaver 20moa rail
    Millet 34mm rings
    Accuracy 1st scope level on the left side and a wheeler folding bubble level on the right side.

I made the bolt handle from the original 11 knob. Cut and welded a piece of steel between the knob and bolt to make it longer and different shape.
    Made it so it doesn't stick out much, so I don't need to remove the bolt when transporting rifle in a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I would not torque a Savage action to 65 in-lbs... 50 inch pounds max. 65in-lbs is for Rem700 and the like. HS3 chassis because it ended about $500 cheaper than the Cadex you're going for.
    Thanks for the heads up on the torque specs. I was making some quick notes while speaking with Cadex and I may have recorded it wrong. What happens if you go to 65 inch pounds on a Savage? I assumed the 40-45 in/lbs on the Accustock was due to a more flexible stock and the higher torque settings on a Cadex were due to the strength of their chassis?

The MDT was a close 2nd even though it's a bit more cost effective and yours looks perfect! It was the adjustment on the Cadex to get it just right that sold me. I have the Bushness XRS as well with the H59 reticle, great glass for the dollar. I have been drooling over the Carbon Six barrels made for the Savage. I like the idea of a 20 round string without overheating and loss of accuracy. But the priority is getting the chassis and reloading. Throwing two dollars downrange ever time I pull the trigger gets expensive.

Thanks for the heads up on the torque specs. I was making some quick notes while speaking with Cadex and I may have recorded it wrong. What happens if you go to 65 inch pounds on a Savage? I assumed the 40-45 in/lbs on the Accustock was due to a more flexible stock and the higher torque settings on a Cadex were due to the strength of their chassis?

The MDT was a close 2nd even though it's a bit more cost effective and yours looks perfect! It was the adjustment on the Cadex to get it just right that sold me. I have the Bushness XRS as well with the H59 reticle, great glass for the dollar. I have been drooling over the Carbon Six barrels made for the Savage. I like the idea of a 20 round string without overheating and loss of accuracy. But the priority is getting the chassis and reloading. Throwing two dollars downrange ever time I pull the trigger gets expensive.

I don't think anything bad would happen if you torqued it down at 65in-lbs.

A few years ago I tested to find the lowest amount of torque required so the screws don't loosen from the recoil of 100+ rounds, and anything under 35in-lbs would loosen after a while in a 300winmag mod 111 hunting rifle, and the same amount was needed for a 10-fcp-k 308w.

Best accuracy was between 40 and 45 in-lbs in the 10-fcpk. I assume 65 in-lbs is required for the Rem700 actions otherwise they might come loose ?

Great choice of glass. I'm very happy with the XRS scope. I got the G2 reticle because I already had a Bush. DMR 3.5-21 with the G2 for a couple of years and can't think of a simpler x-mas tree reticle.

The XRS stays on the 243win HS3 and the DMR get swapped between a 308w and a 300winmag. 308w is the green one.

C1A1 FAL,
    I'm the sales rep for Carbon Six. Please give me a call when you're ready to order. I can see what kind of savings I can work up for you.
    844-883-9493

Thank You,
    Gene

Basic Member
    Sent you a PM
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarrelOutlet View Post
    C1A1 FAL,
    I'm the sales rep for Carbon Six. Please give me a call when you're ready to order. I can see what kind of savings I can work up for you.

Thank You,
    Gene
    Gene, I am very interested in your product but had a few questions. I would be looking at the purchase in the new year, chassis is the priority right now.

1. Can barrels be shipped to Canada without all of the issues facing most firearms components or am I facing the same problems?
    2. Do I need a gunsmith to do the install or is the install the same as a standard replacement barrel?
    3. I understand Bryan Litz has done a detailed test in conjunction with Cal Zant at Precision Rifleblog on a real world comparison between carbon fibre and standard precission barrels. I have asked for the book for Christmas to help me decide before i purchase, however, are you able to give a spoiler on the outcome?

Thanks again for posting.