Thread: Has anyone put a Choate varmint or sniper stock on their model 12?

groundhogsniper

Has anyone put a Choate varmint or sniper stock on their model 12?

I've been looking at the Choate stocks and both the varmint stock and sniper stock are not compatible with the newer model 12's with the bottom bolt release. Has anyone tried anyway and got it to work? I like the looks of the stocks and they are very affordable.

I don't think they are compatible with bottom bolt release but CDI offers a service converting bottom bolt release to topen bolt released for about $60 plus shipping. I had 1 done and was very happy with the service and result.
    I have another rifle that I put the ultimate sniper stock on and it is pretty convenient at the range because the angled foregrip makes for easy smooth vertical adjustment but I wouldn't use it for anything else it weighs a ton and I'm not one usually bothered by weight.

For $70 more Bell and Carlson offers a stock that is compatible with bottom bolt release and is an all-round much nicer stock

I concur, the aluminum bedding V-block is nice also. The fact is that it weighs a bit over 7 pounds by itself! Add in about 4 pounds for the action and scope and another 8 pounds for a bull barrel and you've get a 20 pound lump that's only useable from a bench.

groundhogsniper
    Wow I didn't realize it weighed so much. This is a 204 so it is used for groundhogs. I don't walk much at all with it but 20 pounds is still too much for a hunting rifle. Wide Glide, could you post a link to the Bell and Carlson you're referring to?

This one it is for detachable mag bottom bolt release.

You also have the option of having the action converted to top bolt release for about 75 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by groundhogsniper View Post
    Wow I didn't realize it weighed so much. This is a 204 so it is used for groundhogs. I don't walk much at all with it but 20 pounds is still too much for a hunting rifle. Wide Glide, could you post a link to the Bell and Carlson you're referring to?
    It will be heavy but I'm not sure 20 lbs is accurate. A factory LRPV 223 with a 26 inch heavy fluted barrel is 11 lbs with an extended aluminum bedding block. Even with a 3 lb scope and mount setup you're in the 14lb range.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.