Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell and Carlson stock request................Long Action M40?

Basic Member

Bell and Carlson stock request................Long Action M40?

A few members asked me to post this up as they keep hounding us to produce a new stock.
    We have already prototyped the stock (over a year ago) but have yet to produce a mold for it.

The request is for our "M40" style stock for the following:
    -Long Action
    -Heavy Barrel
    -Factory bottom metal/detachable mag
    -Bottom bolt release or Top bolt release versions

Who wants it?
    All input is appreciated.
    Is there additional models desired?

Misc notes:
    -All of the Long Action, Heavy Barrel, Savage rifles I've put my hands on have been top bolt release.
    -Production numbers for this configuration seemed light back when we prototyped it.

Just the stock I could have used 2 months ago - if it were left handed. I'd like any of your Varmint/Tactical styles, any action length in lefty, come to think of it. The ones I've seen look very good, but that pricepoint isn't one where I'm willing to break out the epoxy, rasp and paint to convert it to left hand. Did that to a Duramax I picked up, but that was at $75 not $275.
    Kevin

Basic Member
    I would buy one.
    I request a fully adjustable butt with LOP spacers and clamp bar style cheek piece.
    INFERNO

I'm the odd man out. I would prefer one with a sporter contour channel in it. I can always open it up if I wanted to but you can't go back the other way.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I'm the odd man out. I would prefer one with a sporter contour channel in it. I can always open it up if I wanted to but you can't go back the other way.
    Good idea as well.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    I would buy one today, exspecially if it was a blind mag.

I finally broke down and bought a Choate Tactical recently for a 110FP (blind mag, top release). I've had it for a decade waiting on a decent upgrade to come along.
    Though the heavy barreled long action rifles have been in production for quite a while, there aren't a lot of options out there for them.
    Additional quality choices that don't break the bank would be nice especially if they don't weigh 2 tons.
    I'd definitely prefer the barrel channel be drop in for the heavy barrels and here is why.
    The thing about hogging out a sporter to make it fit is that : I'd hate to order an aftermarket stock not knowing there was going to be enough forearm left after increasing the barrel channel, and no one is going to take one back or warranty it after it's done. Second hand value would also be diminished on a "bubbad up" stock.
    Therefore I wouldn't risk taking a beating of a couple of hundred on a stock labeled for a sporter barrel if a heavy barrel was my intent.
    Good luck and I would love to see this come to fruition.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-16-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I have been after this exact stock. With bottom bolt release. I would buy one in a second. And then probably a second one soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input!!!

I phoned a Savage employee but have yet to hear back on production numbers. I inquired about LA & SA production numbers with the factory DM (bottom or top) in comparison to overall numbers. Fingers crossed I get a response this week.

If the M40 style comes about (which I'm sure it will) our new adjustable target/competition style stock will be up next for review. (likely both LA & SA)

Yes, please. Top bolt release and blind mag.

And some left handed models would be nice too. Thanks.

Top bolt release, heavy barrel channel and blind mag would be cool!
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

Any new news here?

Bell and Carlson stock request................Long Action M40?

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    I have been working with the Long Action, M40 pattern but haven't received the greatest response for the configuration we were intending to do.

-Long Action
    -Heavy Barrel

The major hold up is that the numbers to support the configuration above seems small. Some of the requests on here support that. (blind mag).

The next week should provide some direction on what we will be running. A short action version of our Remington #2095 for the Savage looks as it is on the horizon as well.

I asked this in an email recently. I'd kill for a long action, blind mag, heavy barrel version. I've got a frankengun long/short action with a precision car in barrel in it sitting in one of your stocks (the only model you have available for long actions) that I had to hog out to get the barrel to fit. Looks like junk but shoots great.... I just love the aesthetics and shootability of the m-40 for hunting and I'm not willing to get rid of that old action sooooooo. Like I said in the email, I'll pay for a prototype that would work you have laying around if you're willing.

Basic Member
    I would love one as well. I'm really looking for something for a LA, but there is just not much out there if you don't want laminate. Manners doesn't even make a LA stock anymore. I had a Stockade once and wasn't thrilled with the fit and finish. The 6mo+ wait time is tough for the McMillan, but looks like I'm stuck ordering one after tax returns.
    112 BVSS .300 Win Mag, 12 FVSS .308, 110 FCP-K 25-06, 110 30-06

Manners does not list them on there web site. But last time I talked with them on the phone they said that they could still make them. They were like a 6-9 month wait too. The only way they would make one was if you sent the gun to them and they would bed it and everything

Basic Member
    This was just about 6 months ago I received an email saying they no longer do Savage LA. I went back last night and they have even taken Savage SA off of their options...

Basic Member
    -Long Action
    -Heavy Barrel

Due to the 2016 Catalog and input here, I'm going to possibly change up the configurations to cater to the older firearms out there as we know we will sell some stocks. Betting on Savage building heavy bbl rifles with the newer factory DM/bottom metal can come down the road if need be.

So this is what I'm about to start making chips on. Don't hold me to it now, things change hourly this close to SHOT. Naturally I'd like to have it at SHOT so if that happens it will or should be available around the first of Feb.

"M40 style"
    -Long Action
    -Heavy Barrel
    -Blind Mag

Now, do me a favor and hit up
    https://www.facebook.com/Bell-and-Carlson-123876127629793/ as it will help seal the deal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner75 View Post
    -Long Action
    -Heavy Barrel

Due to the 2016 Catalog and input here, I'm going to possibly change up the configurations to cater to the older firearms out there as we know we will sell some stocks. Betting on Savage building heavy bbl rifles with the newer factory DM/bottom metal can come down the road if need be.

So this is what I'm about to start making chips on. Don't hold me to it now, things change hourly this close to SHOT. Naturally I'd like to have it at SHOT so if that happens it will or should be available around the first of Feb.

"M40 style"
    -Long Action
    -Heavy Barrel
    -Blind Mag

Now, do me a favor and hit up
    https://www.facebook.com/Bell-and-Carlson-123876127629793/ as it will help seal the deal.
    Are you talking older stagger feed blind mag, or newer centerfeed blind mag? And will they be able to be inlet for aftermarket bottom metal from Accurate Mag or CDI?

Basic Member
    Done. Used to live south of Dodge in Ashland and my friends mom still works for B&C. Hope to see them build a LA stock.

Sounds great except for the blind mag, Really? Center feed factory mag would be far better IMHO.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    Sounds great except for the blind mag, Really? Center feed factory mag would be far better IMHO.
    I see a lot more blind mag rigs on the pawnshop market which is all I buy. I would guess there are more on the market since they were in production for much longer. Just a guess.

Basic Member
    As much as I would rather build the LA with factory DM (I think the center feed guys could buy components and switch over), it appears we are going to start with the old stagger feed first simply based on shear numbers. If Savage would stop changing it up every few years it would certainly help. Will keep this updated, now to get to making chips!

This is fantastic news. I'll be the first in line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast