Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone finding any Varget?

Is anyone finding any Varget?

I have been looking for a bunch of Varget for a while now, but have only found 3lbs worth(month or so ago). My friend went to 2 gunshops today to look for some varget and some bullets and came up pretty much empty handed. He did eventually find the bullets he was looking for, but barely.

I called 2 more local small shops in hopes they would have some lying around, but they also had none.

The one also said that they are limiting the sales of powder to 1lb per person, and primers were 300 per person. That is a pain, but I can understand they are trying to accomodate all of their customers instead of having one guy hoard all of it.

The problem is I need about 4-5 more pounds to load for my August prarie dog trip. I want to load Varget for my 6br,308, and 22-250. They did have 8 pounds or so of H380 and I already have a load for that for the 22-250, so I guess I need to make 4 or 5 trips to the store next week. ::)

This is getting rediculous! Hows everyone else making due?
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

dcloco

Re: Is anyone finding any Varget?

No Varget....anywhere.

Primers? None of those either.

check your PM.

82boy

I bought 3 lbs of it early today.
    The shop-owner said he got in 20 lbs of it yesterday, and that was it, all gone.
    They have plenty of reloader 15 on the shelf too, and it is close to varget.

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco

check your PM.
    Crap, I thought you were gonna give me one of your secret spots to buy stuff ::) :D.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

louthedog

My local shop has an 8# jug and a few 1# jugs on the shelf the last time I was in there (week ago). Thought he was a little pricey on it though. $145 for the 8#. The only primers he had was Remington BR's and he was real pricey on those too. I had to swallow my pride and pick up 400 just to get finished loading for PD's.

Basic Member

We've been paying $140.00 for quite some time for 8lbs of Varget in south Florida. My guy that i usually buy powder from had some 2 months ago at the gun show. Don't know if you want him number in Florida to check to see if he has any to ship to you. Let me know.
    teele1
    6CM

cooperman223

Same here in the UK, Varget is getting hard to find,
    as for reloader 17 i have not seen any in all the gunshops that stock reloading equipment.
    Prices are rocketing for everything,
    A box of 100, 105gn Amax is now £24.00
    Varget when you can find it is now £33.00 per lb tub
    john.

Quote Originally Posted by teele1
    We've been paying $140.00 for quite some time for 8lbs of Varget in south Florida. My guy that i usually buy powder from had some 2 months ago at the gun show. Don't know if you want him number in Florida to check to see if he has any to ship to you. Let me know.
    teele1
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure some will turn up eventually. I still have 6lbs. on hand, but wanted to try to switch my 22-250 over to varget also. Guess it's just not the right time to do it, so I'll stick with h380 or try some Reloader 15 if I can find some of that.

Everything is getting so hard to find and so expensive I dont wanna be trying a bunch of different stuff, I was just hoping to find more Varget and 3 of my guns would shoot the same stuff.
    ~Clint Eastwood

Last time at Cabela's just over a month and half ago purchased last four pound's they had

johnsopa

If you are looking to buy in quantity, get on several backorder lists. I backorder four 8 lb kegs of Varget about three weeks ago from a very popular online powder e-tailer and they shipped them last week.

Basic Member

Powder valley (http://www.powdervalleyinc.com ) shows 8# in stock for $131.
    Don't know how faithfully they keep their website in sync with their stock.
    By the time you pay hazmat and shipping you're probably looking at $21/#,
    but you could easily get that back to $19/# if you went in with a couple buddies
    on a couple more jugs of powder. By the time you add tax and gas, that's
    probably better than $18/# locally, or $144/jug.

johnsopa

That's where I got mine. The hazmat fee is for up to 50 lbs. -- so you could get 6 kegs for one hazmat fee -- plus shipping, of course. They're inventory is accurate.

Digger0040

My local gun shop has it in stock every few weeks but they charge $35.00 for a 1lb bottle.

Basic Member

My 8 pound Varget jug is almost gone, went looking for more last week - nothing to be found. I ended up buying 3 lbs of IMR-4064 instead.

$35 for one pound!? GASP!

Samdweezel05

Just thought I would let you know that I have had better luck with IMR-4895 in everything I own. You also use less of it. My best load to date in my 22-250 is with 4895.

Phil

ratltrap

Don't feel bad, prices I've seen here are well under what we are paying here in SE Alaska - there is still some powder (& primers) to be had, but at a premium price.

82boy

If anyone is interested in the eastern Ohio area, Bruno's is out at the Kelby's super shoot, and yesterday they had a couple of 1 lbs cans and several 8 lbs can of Varget, and other powders.

Basic Member

I saw that Natchez and Powder Valley had some yesterday and Bruno's had some this morning.

Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

btm_54

Varget is made in Australia. No problems with supply down under. ;D
    We have really draconian gun laws to compensate for the excess supply of components :'(

stevec

Dong's Gun's has a bunch of varget in, at least they did last weekend!

Steve

rstove02

Stopped by my local ammo store to check for Varget again. Last few times there was told that they were out of it completely. Asked the gal at the counter about it and since she was new she had to call the owner over to answer the question. The owner said he was out of Varget for a while now, then added "at least the 1# containers of it". Then asked him what about the 8# ones. He then goes "Oh we have a 8# of that in the back room, just let me know if you want it".

Needless to say, had it bought and in my possession less than a minute later.

Basic Member

it is shipping, i saw a hazmat placarded delivery at my local shop in the loading dock, i caught some grief for taking 2 8# right off the skid, $121.99, that was probably 2 months ago, the guy said that those 2 skids won't even cover the prepaid backorders. i was permitted 1000 primers per person at another store a few weeks ago, so me and my dad both bought 1000, only had large rifle, but that is my lowest quanity on hand. i haven't seen a hornady bullet on a shelf for a long time. i need 50gr vmax moly real bad, that is my pet load for one rifle, it is a one hole gun, and would hate to create another load. i do think a few mail order places have finally got them in, but i hate mail order fees.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

GONRACN

Quote Originally Posted by Digger0040
    My local gun shop has it in stock every few weeks but they charge $35.00 for a 1lb bottle.
    It's 23.92 for the 1# bottle here in Rock Hill, SC.

okie2

Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    Dong's Gun's has a bunch of varget in, at least they did last weekend!

Steve
    Steve I take it you live in Tulsa please write me ROBHELLAST@GMAIL.COM
    I live in Terlton and at present living in Yudu china until September will be coming back home.
    I need some information from you.

Basic Member

Picked up a couple pounds yesterday at the local range. Their stocks have been getting better over the past 4-6 weeks. Still no Reloader 7 or 15, different .224 bullets are still hit or miss, but have been ordering those online.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast