Thread: tolerance of varget for reduced loads ?

knickia

tolerance of varget for reduced loads ?

I am still working up loads for my 308 with 150 gr ssts, and noticed a few postings for loads with 42 grains of varget. (relatively new to reloading)

Hodgdon lists the "starting" load as 44.

I know they say 4895 can be dropped to as much as 60% of the max load, but how much room from starter loads is there on varget ?

If working DOWN is there the same progressive signs of pressure ? the info i found made it sound like there could be a sudden spike in pressure when the case is too empty..

dcloco

Re: tolerance of varget for reduced loads ?

Sometimes.

Reduced load causes excessive vacuum in the barrel because the bullet spends more time IN the barrel, nearly sealed against the lands/grooves.

Personal experience with the 308, Win 760 is a GREAT choice of powder, even over Varget.

reduced loads with the wrong powder can leave to much space for an explosion instead of a controlled burn.

If you want a reduced load use a 60% fill of H4895 or a 40% fill of XMR 5744.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

stevec

A friend of mine is using Trail Boss in all rifle loads. Just fill the case to the bottom of the neck is the max load.( That came from a Hogdon tech) He is having great luck withit.

Steve

knickia

my main concern was if going down to 42 or 40 gr was a problem in 308 with varget.

There were some loads listed down at 42, namely nosler listed one as their high accuracy load during testing.

hogdon listed 44 as the starter, so i wanted to know if you can go say 20-25% below max (ie 40ish gr) with varget, and what to expect (besides a big BANG) if things are unstable.

Basic Member

knickia,

I guess my question is what is your goal here. Is it a reduced load for less recoil or is it simply looking for the best accuracy load. If you are looking for accuracy, start at minimum and go up. You will probably find one accuracy node at about midrange and another nearing or at maximum load. Pick the one that fits your needs. Just work your load up and be on the look out for signs of high pressure.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

knickia

goal: Accuracy :)

Kawabuggy

I shoot 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my Savage 10FP-LE over 45 grains of Varget with a CCI200 primer. This load was so accurate in my gun that I did not even bother to go higher.

If accuracy is your goal, use the "accuracy" load in your loading manual, and then try loading both above, and down from there to see what is really working the best in your rifle. Since I am a powder meister, I NEVER load to maximum loads. If I find accuracy in the mid-range, I don't need to venture towards maximum as there really is nothing there except bragging rights about speed. Whoopee. My simple goal is to find the most accurate load using the least amount of powder. I am predominantly a hunter and don't shoot much further than 200 yards. If your goal is long distance target shooting-forget everything I just said.. I can't imagine finding a good accurate load for a .308 will be difficult though..

If you want some loads to try, check this link:
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ds#Post2255435

Lot's of good information there..