Thread: Berger Hybrids and Deer

Team Savage

Berger Hybrids and Deer

I know they are not meant for it and I am not supporting using a target bullet for hunting. HOWEVER..... Two shots two kills yesterday. 140 gr 6.5 hyb on fairly large buck at about 270 yrds. Dropped him dead as a hammer. Never took another step just straight to the ground. Her buck dropped straight away as well but wiggled around for a couple minutes. Not a huge track of carnage on the way out. In fact I never found entry or exit on my buck. Only blood I saw was from the mouth. That happened once before with 338. Not good expansion but definitely killers if you put them in the right spot.

I use the berger hybrid hunting. I believe it has a thinner jacket than the target

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    I know they are not meant for it and I am not supporting using a target bullet for hunting. HOWEVER..... Two shots two kills yesterday. 140 gr 6.5 hyb on fairly large buck at about 270 yrds. Dropped him dead as a hammer. Never took another step just straight to the ground. Her buck dropped straight away as well but wiggled around for a couple minutes. Not a huge track of carnage on the way out. In fact I never found entry or exit on my buck. Only blood I saw was from the mouth. That happened once before with 338. Not good expansion but definitely killers if you put them in the right spot.
    Congratulations to you both on your successful hunt.
    As for using so called match bullets for hunting, as a rule, only those with no experience with them complain about them.
    Not sure id advise using them for all hunting, but for longer shots they perform well.

Team Savage
    That may very well be the reason in the difference in behavior of each shot. Her's was about 170 yrds and mine was 270. For my field, after seeing how they do, I personally do not have a problem using them. Amax has been in use for years. If I look back over the years, if I didnt recover my deer it was due to shot placement not the bullet. Its quite possible that a specific hunting bullet may be more important in a poorly placed shot to create a larger damage path. I think that may be more important deep in thick woods where shots are taken more quickly due to thick cover. I know that is the main reason I have either missed or placed my shot poorly. In a field, especially where we hunt, we have the time to wait and put the shot where it needs to go. I have the entire field ranged so the dope can be set perfectly in most cases. I dont even use the same rifle in the woods let alone bullet.

Basic Member
    The Amax is a very good bullet also. There had been several variations of that over the years also due mainly on tip design/material.
    The original 162 introduced about 1970, was simply the BTHP match, which is still available.
    They are what I started using, and still use today in my 7mms.
    Some claim the original Amax which had a metallic tip was the best one.

I've been using so called match bullets for years and never had a problem. From Sierra to Bergers before they came out with hunting/ target versions and Amaxs. They all work extremely well even at close ranges in my experience. The Bergers are my favorite though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I've been using so called match bullets for years and never had a problem. From Sierra to Bergers before they came out with hunting/ target versions and Amaxs. They all work extremely well even at close ranges in my experience. The Bergers are my favorite though.
    Ive never personaly used any Bergers. Mainly because of a large stash of Hornadys and SMKs.
    But friends keep reminding me how well they perform.
    The early version 338s had a bad habit of not making it all the way if pushed hard.
    That didn't help their popularity in our part of the world.
    JLKs perform very well also, and I have witnessed that on several occasions.

The early version of the Berger's, are what they bite call their hunting line.
    IME the Custom Comps and Berger hunting bullets do about the same amount of damage, but the J4 on the Nosler is a bit quicker to open.

I too agree that if you are going for a Texas heart shot, better get a tougher bullet. But a nice pumphouse shot, doesn't matter.

Nice job, btw
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Awesome where are the hero pics?
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]