Thread: My first savage!

Kzink89

My first savage!

Just picked up my first ever savage which happens to be a 11 trophy hunter xp .308. I have owned a few bolt guns before and can never keep them the way they came. This is why i chose this model, i knew the stock would be replaced so no need for an accustock and i wanted a 3x9 for an ar in the safe so this seemed like the best bang for the buck. I plan on using this for my all a all around big game rifle as well as some target shooting up to 500 yards, would love to get to 1000 just not sure if the skill is there on my end. Decided to upgrade the scope with a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp, my question is what would you guys recommend for rings and bases? I have done a little searching and have seen a few good things about a EGW 1 piece base with SWFA SS 30mm rings but wanted to hear from the experts. I have a good rifle and good scope the last thing i want to do is mount it with sub par equipment.

Basic Member
    Just put Nightforce titanium 20moa base and 1.1" rings on mine. Top shelf but they will set you back. Cry once I guess.

Team Savage
    EGW base & Burris sig. Zee rings
    best combo out there

Kzink89
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    EGW base & Burris sig. Zee rings
    best combo out there
    never used a picatinny rail system like the egw on a bolt gun before, but im assuming the weaver style mounts just fine?

yes, weaver style rings should mount just fine. I also like EGW and burris sig rings! great combo together!

If you go with a rail be very careful with what height rings you get. Even mediums will put your scope very high off the barrel,and sometimes the objective bell hits the front of the rail if you go too low. I got rid of all my rails and went to 2 piece bases to get my scopes as low as possible.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Kzink89
    [QUOTE=243LPR;385552]If you go with a rail be very careful with what height rings you get. Even mediums will put your scope very high off the barrel,and sometimes the objective bell hits the front of the rail if you go too low. I got rid of all my rails and went to 2 piece bases to get my scopes as low as

any reccomondations on a 2 piece mount?

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Kzink89;385594]
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    If you go with a rail be very careful with what height rings you get. Even mediums will put your scope very high off the barrel,and sometimes the objective bell hits the front of the rail if you go too low. I got rid of all my rails and went to 2 piece bases to get my scopes as low as

any reccomondations on a 2 piece mount?
    I like Warne. http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/315...VZZBoCgoDw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Ditto

Burris extreme steel.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.