Thread: First Range Session, 12 Benchrest .308 (W/ Pics)

ultramag44

First Range Session, 12 Benchrest .308 (W/ Pics)

Yeah, okay, so I get to the range and the wind is only ::) 'bout 12 - 15 mph, and my flag is only moving through about 45 degrees, so it's not too bad for West Texas conditions.

I set up my gear. I have a target posted @ 25 yeads, and adjust the objective on the Weaver 36X for that distance. I remove the bolt and boresight the barrel on the target. Looking through the scope, the vertical alignment is just about perfect! :) WOOTZ! :) (last night I had zeroed both scope turrets and put 0/0 inserts in the Burris Signature Zee rings).

I have some pulled, GI 147 grain NM bullets for barrel break-in. 43 grains of IMR 4064, bullet .003 shy of rifiling. Remington 9-1/2 primers. Loaded on Bonanza Benchrest dies, Redding Ultramag press. New Winchester brass, trimmed, and inside of case mouths cleaned up w/ a 30 degree reamer.

One-shot & clean routine w/ Barnes CR10 and Shooters Choice, but getting almost NO copper! ;D WOOTZ! 4 shots and I switch to 3-shot & clean groups. Getting very little copper. Bore is slickier then greased glass!

[img width=600 height=400]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageOnBench1.jpg[/img]

Group is center, but 1.5" low. I'm thinking I'll need + & - 5 inserts for 100 yards. Wind is getting downright ugly! gusting, and flag is swinging through 90 degrees and the shear is bouncing up now.

100 yards. Switch to 168 Nosler BTHP match bullets. Group is 6 inches low. Put +5 insert in borrom of rear ring, -5 insert in top of rear ring. Groups seem to be tightening (I'm doing 5-shot & clean now).

Here's 2 each 5 shot groups upper one is after insert change. Lower one is tighter (I made an adjustment of a few clicks to bring the group down).

[img width=600 height=450]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/Savage2Each5-shotgroups.jpg[/img]

I had 2 instances of the accu-trigger 'clicking', but no bang. Both times I just reset the bolt handle. I did not change the adjustment from factory setting.

The rifle sits on the rest and returns to the correct place as the rifle slides back & forth. Almost no felt recoil! :) I got used to the 2-port system fast! 8)

I have load development to do now. My overall impression: I LIKE! I'm glad there is one factory that still takes accuracy serously!

Nefarioud

Re: First Range Session, 12 Benchrest .308 (W/ Pics)

Excellent!

Now, maybe I'll get motivated to get mine out of the box, mount the rail etc. and go see what it does.

How was the recoil? Was the trigger set really light on yours? mine seems to fire with just a whisp of the finger after the sear block is back.

You are lucky mine is still in the process of being built. I have the stock and action SSS has the bolt and barrel.Barrel is a Douglas 30" and Fred is chambering and cutting the crown.Still undecided about the scope but already have Egw base and Burris rings.
    Only time will tell.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

ultramag44

NefariousD,

There is almost no felt recoil, just a straight push back. I did not find it muzzle heavy as others have commented.

I have a really good set of trigger gauges (left them home :-[ ). But yes, it seems very light. I'll check it out next time; and report back.

I have 2 each Weaver # 46 bases on mine, and as I reported the scope pointed exactly in-line w/ the barrel! ;D :) . Not that I need it, but, does EGW make a rail w/ continous Weaver / Picittany slots for the 12 Benchrest?

[img width=600 height=399]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageWeaver2.jpg[/img]

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by ultramag44
    NefariousD,

There is almost no felt recoil, just a straight push back. I did not find it muzzle heavy as others have commented.
    Excellent! that is what I was hoping.

Not that I need it, but, does EGW make a rail w/ continous Weaver / Picittany slots for the 12 Benchrest?
    No Idea about EGW, but I'm using a NightForce +20 MOA short action rail on mine and I've also bolted up a bench source +20 short action rail to check fit both worked. I'm going to bed the rail so I'm glad you found the mounting holes lined up well.

The feakin NXS's are heavy mofos at 2 pounds so I like to make sure they are gonna stay put.

ultramag44

NefariousD,

Are you saying the combination of the NightForce +20 MOA short action rail by itself weighs 2lb? or, do you mean the rail + scope weights 2lb? Yes, you are smart to bed it. That is alot of weight up there either way!

Sometimes guys open the holes up for 8-40 screws w/ a heavy scope / base combo on a rifle.

Regards, ultramag44

Yes EGW has a rail a 20moa and three inches longer for prone shooters have one on my 308 F/TR rifle works very well

ultramag44

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    Yes EGW has a rail a 20moa and three inches longer for prone shooters have one on my 308 F/TR rifle works very well
    Balljoint, Thanks for the 'heads-up'. Can you post a pic?

Since mine lined up 'deadnutz' w/ the two Weaver # 46's, I'm not gonna change it, but it's nice to know the parts are available. Regards, ultramag44

Nefarioud

NefariousD,

Are you saying the combination of the NightForce +20 MOA short action rail by itself weighs 2lb? or, do you mean the rail + scope weights 2lb? Yes, you are smart to bed it. That is alot of weight up there either way!

Sometimes guys open the holes up for 8-40 screws w/ a heavy scope / base combo on a rifle.

Regards, ultramag44
    Scope is 2 pounds by itself. I've yet to weigh the base and rings but I can't imagine them being particularly heavy, though the ones for this set-up aren't the Nightforce lightweights, they're the old steel ones.